Old 14-11-2006, 10:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Maxillaria picta

Maxillaria picta
From Brazil / Argentina.
Plenty of this species in collections over here - a durable species.
Peter

--
)

Attached Thumbnails
Maxillaria picta-maxillaria-picta.jpg
Old 14-11-2006, 04:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Someone here was saying that this is the only plant they've kept that s/he
didn't buy in flower. And it has never bloomed for him/her either. I had
to laugh becasue I did the same thing. Got the plant on the off chance that
I could get it to bloom (I'd seen one in a show and loved it) but the best
its done for me is one flower in (yikes) nearly a decade. I was about to
toss it, and then you've rewhetted my appetite with this picture.

Stay of execution: granted.

K Barrett

"P Max" wrote in message
Maxillaria picta
From Brazil / Argentina.

Old 15-11-2006, 12:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

P Max wrote:
Maxillaria picta
From Brazil / Argentina.
Plenty of this species in collections over here - a durable species.
Peter

wow!
Old 15-11-2006, 04:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:10:14 GMT, "P Max"
wrote:

Maxillaria picta
From Brazil / Argentina.
Plenty of this species in collections over here - a durable species.
Peter

That holds it sepals in exactly the manner that Bulbo grandaflorum
does. http://orchidphotography.com/im/bulb005.jpg This is one I
pulled via google. Not a great pix.

The resemblance just struck me so strongly, I had to comment.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 15-11-2006, 05:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kath,

We had one at OrchidMania, a big mounted honker, for years, and was a
reliable bloomer. It grew in our "warm" house, with summer nights around 60
and a slightly cooler winter with nights in the upper 50s with occassional
dips into the mid-low 50s and one or two nights in the upper 40s. Daytime
temps always nice and warm.

We broke it up this year to sell, but another huge specimen was donated
about a year ago, this one potted, and this year's pseudobulbs are HUGE, so
I'm hopeful it will put on a nice show. The fragrance is heavenly.

Ron Parsons says the species can be grown outdoors year-round in Berkeley
and Oakland and the warmer parts of SF.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Stay of execution: granted.

Old 15-11-2006, 04:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Well, maybe a greater temperature differential is what will kick this one
into blooming. I'd never heard that they could be grown outside.

Thanks Eric!

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Kath,

We had one at OrchidMania, a big mounted honker, for years, and was a
reliable bloomer. It grew in our "warm" house, with summer nights around
60 and a slightly cooler winter with nights in the upper 50s with
occassional dips into the mid-low 50s and one or two nights in the upper
40s. Daytime temps always nice and warm.

We broke it up this year to sell, but another huge specimen was donated
about a year ago, this one potted, and this year's pseudobulbs are HUGE,
so I'm hopeful it will put on a nice show. The fragrance is heavenly.

Ron Parsons says the species can be grown outdoors year-round in Berkeley
and Oakland and the warmer parts of SF.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Stay of execution: granted.

Old 15-11-2006, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Well, maybe a greater temperature differential is what will kick this one
into blooming. I'd never heard that they could be grown outside.

Umm, Kath, I think they grow outside in the first place...

Reka(ducking & running)

Old 16-11-2006, 03:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

These are usually grown cool to cold here also Reka. Copes with the
occasional night down to zero degrees.
Peter

--
)
"Reka" wrote in message
. ..
K Barrett wrote:
Well, maybe a greater temperature differential is what will kick this one
into blooming. I'd never heard that they could be grown outside.

Umm, Kath, I think they grow outside in the first place...

Reka(ducking & running)

Rate This Thread: