GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trichopilia laxa redux (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153389-trichopilia-laxa-redux.html)

tennis maynard 26-11-2006 10:39 PM

Trichopilia laxa redux

1 Attachment(s)
Better shot. Didn't realize this one was fragrant until I went to pull
it out of the growroom in the middle of the day to photograph it. The
lights are on at night, so I pulled it out in the middle of its 'night'
or dark period. It's night fragrant! Don't know of any other trichos
which are, but you'd better believe I'll be checking. The fragrance, a
strong one, seems to me primarily jasmine with a slight cinnamon
overlay. Very nice!

tennis maynard 27-11-2006 03:30 AM

Trichopilia laxa redux

John Varigos wrote:
Nice shots Tennis. Under what conditions do you grow your Trichopilias?
Cheers
~John

I would say intermediate with the proviso that when I can control the
temps, I try to keep the highs in the low to mid seventies. Outdoors in
the summer, they get what they get here in central Ohio. But some really
do prefer it a little cooler than intermediate max temps, especially the
nobilis/fragrans group.

Constant air movement, seedling mix in plastic pots, and I don't let
them get bone dry. They can be prone to rotting in the new growths like
lycastes, and I have heard from more than one person that when seen in
situ they generally are growing almost horizontally, which would of
course help keep water out of the new growths. I have yet to experiment
with deliberate dry seasons as my conditions normally run a little drier
than I would like.

John Varigos 27-11-2006 07:20 AM

Trichopilia laxa redux

Thanks Tennis. Confirms my view having killed a few by rotting them out. I
will try growing them horizontally.

Cheers

John

"tennis maynard" wrote in message