Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Did my pic of Brsdm Wild Warrior show up?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yup! And I appreciate your metaphor - can almost see them swaying.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:53:20 -0800, "wendy7" wrote:

\0
Dave Gillingham

Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks, Wendy. System m/b failed. No problem - I had a RAID 1 array (2 hard
drives in parallel, mirroring to each other) so data was doubly safe (bitter
laughter).

Decided I was too busy (repotting etc) to fix it myself, & took it to the local
hardware shop. They replaced a $300 m/b with a $90 one; then, when a hiccup
apparently developed with rebuilding Win XP for the new m/b, decided to save
time & do a clean install of Windows. Bloody hell! Most of my data was on a
separate partition thank the Lord. But I lost *everything* that wrote to the
registry, or was installed in the "Program Files" directory. That means nearly
all of my apps don't work & have to be reinstalled. And any data that
applications saved in Win XP's "Documents & Settings" was lost.

So my internet connection & apps are now up & running, but there's lots of work
ahead re-installing. I could have taken it back & demanded a quality m/b but,
to be honest, my 'puter isn't going anywhere near that mob again. At least they
gave me a long term loan of a hard drive they put a ghost of my system on, so
I'm slowly recovering lost data like my diary & contacts list, and (vitally) my
financial management software that communicated directly with the bank.

I can see why they had a problem rebuilding - with their drive connected, my
computer freezes at least once a session.

One day I'll get back to all the pics in my camera!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wow! Can see why you have been away!
Did you lose all your pictures? We are so lucky, our neighbour is a retired
computer expert & he enjoys helping us.
He set up a backup to my 2nd drive, he says it's unlikely that both drives
would crash.
He has already loaded & tested the new Vista.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:21:06 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

I think my photos are all OK, but haven't checked closely yet.

Good Luck Dave -
Rebuilding is always a pain. Even if you have the data backedup and
moved... there is always something lost.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Rate This Thread: