Old 14-12-2006, 01:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Lycaste locusta X 2

Lycaste locusta. One of the few green flowered orchids. Peruvian species.
Peter

--
)

Attached Thumbnails
Lycaste locusta X 2-lycaste-locusta-2.jpg   Lycaste locusta X 2-lycaste-locusta-3.jpg

Old 15-12-2006, 06:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ooooo, really nice.

This was recently reclassified as Ida locusta by Henry Oakley in the Orchid
Digest.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 15-12-2006, 07:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Peruvian you say Peter, she looks Irish to me. I would like to
save your pics & show my mentor. He loves Lycastes & green flowers.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 15-12-2006, 08:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Wendy

The issue of green flowers was discussed at the meeting at which Peter took
this photo.

It was pointed out that the Orchid family probably has more green flowers
than any other family and that the further south one travels in the southern
hemisphere the more green flowers one sees (seems true for Sth America and
Australia at least - not sure about Africa). As green is indicative of
chlorophyll the question was raised as to what role the green in the flowers
had in relation to photosynthesis.

Interesting topic for discussion.

By the way, I also love green flowers.

Great shot Peter irrespective of whether it is a Lycaste or Ida. As
Shakespeare said ....

Cheers

John