GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153526-attn-ray-semi-hydro-test.html)

wendy7 16-12-2006 02:22 AM

Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test

1 Attachment(s)
Would this Den superbum with all the keiki's be
because this plant requires a dry rest & I tried it in Semi Hydro?
Could it be because the roots rotted out & it's trying to propagate?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

danny 16-12-2006 02:54 PM

Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test

Probably the second one. I've had a couple dendrobiums put out a big flush
of keikeis when the main plant was about to croak. Is it just the roots
that are rotten, or are any of the bulbs rotting at the base?

I think I heard once that you can grow the nobile types hydroponically and
still get blooms if you don't fertilize them in the winter.

-danny

wendy7 16-12-2006 05:00 PM

Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test

Thanks Danny, Yes the canes were starting to rot so I have washed them in a
Physan solution, & laid them out on a bed of sphagnum moss & a springling of
charcoal & root hormone?

Ray B 18-12-2006 12:58 AM

Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test

I am not a fan of dens, so have no direct experience upon which to comment,
but based upon the pic, I'd guess it's a last-ditch survival effort before
the plant dies.

Diana Kulaga 20-12-2006 11:25 PM

Attn:- Ray - Semi Hydro test

Wendy, my suberbums both keiki like crazy, but not quite like that. I do
know that it's not unusual for some of the canes to die back. I just cut
them off.

Diana

"wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks Ray.