Old 24-12-2006, 03:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Blc. Young Kong 'Sun #16' HCC/AOS

Venny and I would like to wish all of abpo the Very best for the Holiday Season from sunny Florida.

We also wish you a very Healthy New Year! ( did I forget a great growing year too???)

Here's a little strange 'fluff' for the season. Yes, this is the same plant and yes, it was bloomed under the same light.
Anyone have any ideas as to why the different colors?

Again Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year!!!

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Blc. Young Kong 'Sun #16' HCC/AOS-blc.-young-kong-2006w.jpg
Old 24-12-2006, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The flower on the left kinda looks like a reverse of the normal peloric
pattern, instead of the petals taking on lip characteristics this one had
the lip turn into a normal petal. Probably a one-time thing? That's an
interesting color.
-danny

. ..

Old 24-12-2006, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
al al is offline

a reverse peloric is an atavist. As the thinking goes, the lip structure in
orchids evolved from the petal of a three petaled, three sepaled flower; a
classic whorl shape in flower structure. When an organism reverts to a
previous state after many generations in a new stable state, it is called
atavism. It is sort of common in recently mutated organisms. A very common
atavistic tendency is for variegated foliage to revert back to
non-variegation.

The peloric tendency in orchids; ...the remaining petals taking on the
characteristics of the lip... is a leap forward (or a leap away from) the
previous and current evolutionary norms.

It is neat flower and picture.

"danny" wrote in message
The flower on the left kinda looks like a reverse of the normal peloric
pattern, instead of the petals taking on lip characteristics this one had
the lip turn into a normal petal. Probably a one-time thing? That's an
interesting color.
-danny

. ..

Old 24-12-2006, 06:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I had a plant that did something similar. Of the 3 blooms on a spike one
always bloomed malformed (lacking a part or fusing parts), the other flowers
were normal. Mine was an Empress Worsley cross, not a mericlone, so it
wasn't a case of over-mericloning.

It'll probably always bloom that way, Roy. I don't think this is a case of
using a sytemic pesticide while the buds were forming. I think its genetic.
As to why only one flower and the other's OK, I have no idea.

K Barrett

"danny" wrote in message
The flower on the left kinda looks like a reverse of the normal peloric
pattern, instead of the petals taking on lip characteristics this one had
the lip turn into a normal petal. Probably a one-time thing? That's an
interesting color.
-danny

"Roy" wrote in message
. ..
Venny and I would like to wish all of abpo the Very best for the Holiday
Season from sunny Florida.

We also wish you a very Healthy New Year! ( did I forget a great growing
year too???)

Here's a little strange 'fluff' for the season. Yes, this is the same

plant
and yes, it was bloomed under the same light.
Anyone have any ideas as to why the different colors?

Again Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year!!!

Roy

Rate This Thread: