Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

I liked this one because it had such a dark labellum and I was partial to
the varietal name. It is found growing in Mexico right through Central
America.

~John

Attached Thumbnails
Maxillaria cucullata 'John'-maxillaria-cucullata-john.jpg
Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ooh yes, very black. Do you have a close-up of the labellum? I was wondering
because the Black-tongue Fingers (Caladenia congesta) labellum isn't
actually black when you look at it closely but a really dark red.

om...

Old 07-01-2007, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've got a few pictures of this and another closely related plant, and those
lips are extremely dark. Even with a closeup flash they don't really show
color. I'll have to take another look sometime, they will probably be a
super dark red under close inspection.
-danny

Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Eric will have a better picture of this one soon, but here's a 'black'
orchid

http://www.aospacificcentral.org/PnO...maxschunk.html

K Barrett

. ..

Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the link, Kathy. I took a photos of Maxillaria schunkeana
benched at one of our meetings this year. This particular clone looked
black, but as Reiner observed, it is in actual fact very dark red when seen
close up.

Perhaps the one Dan has at Hanging Gardens is even darker. Eric do you have
a photo of Dan's plant?

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Eric will have a better picture of this one soon, but here's a 'black'
orchid

http://www.aospacificcentral.org/PnO...maxschunk.html

K Barrett

. ..

"AusDigi" wrote in message
Ooh yes, very black. Do you have a close-up of the labellum? I was
wondering
because the Black-tongue Fingers (Caladenia congesta) labellum isn't
actually black when you look at it closely but a really dark red.

Attached Thumbnails
Maxillaria cucullata 'John'-maxillaria-schunkeana.jpg

Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I have this species, although I haven't bloomed it in a couple years now.
They're dark red. The lips on the Max. cucullata are darker.
-danny

Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

The plant Kathy linked *IS* Dan's plant!

I got a photo today of the plant in question at the Peninsula show - will
post a link later tonite when I've got the photo ready.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Eric

I knew that that was Dan's plant _ I was wondering whether you had a better
photo than that in the link. Re-reading my post I could have worded it
better. No wonder Kathy was "???????????".
Cheers

John

Old 08-01-2007, 03:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Folks,

Here's my version. I couldn't get a closeup like Kathy - the plant was
firmly ensconced in a display.

It's really stunning. That might explain the 83 point AM/AOS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:00:08 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Folks,

Here's my version. I couldn't get a closeup like Kathy - the plant was
firmly ensconced in a display.

It's really stunning. That might explain the 83 point AM/AOS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

-Eric in SF

Fantastic. And that certainly appears Black. Who was the comic
character -(?) Brenda Star, whose Mystery Man was always bring her
black Orchids?

Too bad this one is not the big floof they drew in the comics G
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 08-01-2007, 09:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
How about an attachment? ;-(
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

Tis a cool, black-looking thing. John, can't you get flickr images?

Rate This Thread: