Old 09-01-2007, 06:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Laelia anceps v veitchiana 'Tamara' - stunning vision in white with purple lip

Species from Mexico

Love that lip!

Grown by D & D Flowers
--
-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Attached Thumbnails
Laelia anceps v veitchiana 'Tamara' - stunning vision in white with purple lip-laelia-anceps-v-veitchiana-tamara.jpg
Old 09-01-2007, 02:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:03:56 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Species from Mexico

Love that lip!

Grown by D & D Flowers

Delightful and so different form the 'standard anceps.' Another for
my watch list.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 09-01-2007, 11:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:29:54 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

We gave it an AM at the CSNJC last week.
http://www.csnjc.org/Jan2007/lanveitch.html

K Barrett

Ok - Now if it ever melts - Where should I look for the best of these?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Well, now that's a good question. This one was grown by Dennis Olivas and
originated (I believe... I'm like 99% sure) from Bartley Schwartz aka
Highland Tropicals. As you may know Bartley passed away a few years ago and
his sister (the heir) let the collection decline, finally throwing in the
towel and letting Dennis take over hte collection. You may or may not know
of Bartley, but IMHO he had one of the best eyes in orchid hybridizing. I
wonder if one could OW the clonal name 'Highland' or Highland tropical' to
see how many awards came from Bartley's crosses. Of course theres always
the Oncidium-type that's named for Bartley, which I think got cloned ad
nauseum to the pot plant trade. So to make a long answer short you could
try Dennis at D&D orchids. He may have a piece for sale - which would now
cost a pretty penny. Or he may have others. One never knows with Dennis.
YOu can most easily find Dennis via the Diablo View OS newsletter at their
webpage. I think D&D has a commercial vendor listing http://www.dvos.org
click on 'newsletters'.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Additionally, in case someone ever wondered why this is var. veitchiana and
not var. coerulea its becasue the name predates that sort of scientific
naming, sort of like how Paph insigne(?) album is called paph insigne
'sanderianum'.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Ray. I have a remake of Paph Magic Lantern from Bartley that (when I
get it to bloom) is very nice. Bought sight unseen from a tray of
seedlings. He was a trip. Used to keep big parrots in the GH, one on his
shoulder as he worked.

wrote:

We gave it an AM at the CSNJC last week.
http://www.csnjc.org/Jan2007/lanveitch.html

K Barrett

Ok - Now if it ever melts - Where should I look for the best of these?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Rate This Thread: