Old 27-01-2007, 07:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default semi hydro question (phal) - attached files (1/1)

so i have this phal seedling that's been trying for YEARS to die on me
and i said "what the hell" and stuck it in some leftover primeagra in a
yogurt cup about three weeks ago. it seems happy--the leaves are shiny
and getting bigger; it actually *has* four leaves for the first time in
its life, so i figured all was well. i looked at it closely today
though and saw some black around the base of the stem and thought
"yipes! rot!" and pulled it out..... should i be concerned about these
stripes on the root (yes, singular; as i said, trying to die or are
they just sort of growth rings?

--j_a

Attached Thumbnails
semi hydro question (phal) - attached files (1/1)-phal_problem_1.jpg   semi hydro question (phal) - attached files (1/1)-phal_problem_2.jpg

Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

In article ,
"danny" wrote:

The root looks fine to me. I would make sure the base of the plant is far
enough up in the primeagra that it won't stay soggy.
-danny

alas, it's rot; i pulled it and h2o2-ed it and cinnamoned it and bagged
it and we'll see what happens.

now i'm worried about my birthday vuyl, which i put in s/h last
weekend--the PA feels dry to my touch, but the exposed roots are damp,
so i guess they're doing a good job of wicking...

--j_a

Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

In article ,
"Bob Walsh" wrote:

You didn't mention so I'll ask, did you put a drain hole in the yogurt cup
about an inch up from the bottom?

Bob

yes, i punched three holes in a row about 3/4's of an inch above the
bottom of the cup; used an icepick, so they're very small holes. (did
the same thing with an african violet baby just for the hell of it; same
size yogurt cup; the A/V is growing madly.)

now, i also bought a gorgeous phal already in s/h a few months ago at
HD; it was in one of those pots that looks like an aircone with lots of
slits, and sits inside another plastic pot, and has a little water
gauge...? i noticed its leaves were looking limp, so i just pulled it
out--and 3/4's of the roots came off. just plain old root rot. so it's
sitting in h2o2 at the moment and i'll pot it up in sphag and hope it
makes a recovery.

as for the baby phal that was in the pictures--it's lost that single
root. -sigh-. and i just happen to have a bottle of KLN from my s/h
starter kit--think i should do a drench to encourage a new root...?

TIA for the wisdom of the group....

--j_a

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

repotting phrag into Semi-Hydro question J Fortuna Orchids 1 18-06-2006 01:36 PM
semi-hydro pots bb Orchids 5 06-01-2004 11:33 PM
Semi-Hydro versus Water Culture? J Fortuna Orchids 0 06-01-2004 05:34 AM
No Spikes???-Thanks, but one more semi-hydro question Charles Peters Orchids 4 18-11-2003 10:42 AM