Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50% lineale, 25%
discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of the blooms, I'm not sure I
believe the tag. But I love it just the same.
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii-den-ursxnh-01.jpg
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:47:13 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50% lineale, 25%
discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of the blooms, I'm not sure I
believe the tag. But I love it just the same.
Dave Gillingham

Love this style and shape. It is to die for.

Is there a difference in the forms of lineale?
I have Ursula's lineale listed as veratifolium, and Neo-Hawaii's
lineale as Den grantii. And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.
I just wondered if they were the differences? Any chance there was
another plant known for a while as one of these misnomers?
SuE
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Oh boy, I am with Sue here Dave, love it. Especially the surprised look!
I would name it "UR Neo Love"
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

wrote:

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50% lineale, 25%
discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of the blooms, I'm not sure I
believe the tag. But I love it just the same.
Dave Gillingham

Love this style and shape. It is to die for.

Is there a difference in the forms of lineale?
I have Ursula's lineale listed as veratifolium, and Neo-Hawaii's
lineale as Den grantii. And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.
I just wondered if they were the differences? Any chance there was
another plant known for a while as one of these misnomers?
SuE

Sue, D. lineale seems to be a very variable species. I've attached 3 pics
scanned from Lavarack, Harris & Stocker, and from a fairly new book "Spatulata
Orchids of Papua New Guinea" published by the Orchid Society of Papua New
Guinea. None of them would provide the colouration of my plant, nor the very
tall antelope lateral sepals. Seems more like antennatum or tangerinum in
shape, but colouration similar to at least one photo I've seen of helix.
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii-lineale-1.jpg   Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii-lineale-2.jpg   Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii-lineale-3.jpg

Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.

And discolor is a/k/a broomfieldii. When I first acquired my "big mama"
discolor, it was labelled undulatum v. broomfieldii. Some research took me
to discolor.

Diana

Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

None of them would provide the colouration of my plant, nor the very tall
antelope lateral sepals. Seems more like antennatum or tangerinum

A friend has a specimen sized antennatum which has been awarded, so I'm
pretty familiar with the plant. I can vouch for the tall lateral sepals.

Diana

Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

wrote:

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50% lineale, 25%
discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of the blooms, I'm not sure I
believe the tag. But I love it just the same.
Dave Gillingham

Love this style and shape. It is to die for.

Is there a difference in the forms of lineale?
I have Ursula's lineale listed as veratifolium, and Neo-Hawaii's
lineale as Den grantii. And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.
I just wondered if they were the differences? Any chance there was
another plant known for a while as one of these misnomers?
SuE

Oops! I got carried away with the lineale bit, & overlooked the rest :-(

Not sure about the rest of your queries, Sue. But discolor doesn't have the
tall lateral sepals, though it's still from Section Spatulata. Its colouring is
anything from chocolate through tan, to canary yellow in var, broomfieldii that
Diana mentioned below. And as you probably know, phalaenopsis is usually mauve,
with a very rounded shape.
Dave Gillingham

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Rauski ja NEO Suomalaista sosialismia Taneli Immonen Edible Gardening 0 15-07-2008 04:50 AM
Probably not Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 6 14-01-2008 08:51 PM
Neo's Robert Lorenzini Orchids 2 08-08-2007 08:07 PM
aerides falcata Q not neo falcata kenty ;-\) Orchids 5 17-12-2004 10:23 PM