GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ansellia africana v. nilotica (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/154246-ansellia-africana-v-nilotica.html)

tennis maynard 18-02-2007 07:08 AM

Ansellia africana v. nilotica

1 Attachment(s)
One of a number of different forms I have of this species. Nicely
fragrant, too.

Diana Kulaga 18-02-2007 08:11 PM

Ansellia africana v. nilotica

Lemon pudding with the zest left in, Tennis!

Diana

wendy7 19-02-2007 01:44 AM

Ansellia africana v. nilotica

This one is lovely Tennis. Just how big is your plant & where did you get
it?
Cheers Wendy

tennis maynard 19-02-2007 05:26 AM

Wendy7 wrote:
This one is lovely Tennis. Just how big is your plant & where did you
get it?
Cheers Wendy

Thanks, the pbs are about 8" and leaves another 10" or so. My ansellias
stay relatively short in high light. This one I got as a division from a
plant originally from the local conservatory where I repot.

John Varigos 22-02-2007 10:14 PM

Ansellia africana v. nilotica

Hi Tennis

Lovely. I have one plant of this species which flowers intermittently. How
do you grow yours?

Cheers

John

tennis maynard 23-02-2007 12:41 AM

John Varigos wrote:
Hi Tennis

Lovely. I have one plant of this species which flowers intermittently. How
do you grow yours?

Cheers

John

"tennis maynard" wrote in message

One of a number of different forms I have of this species. Nicely
fragrant, too.

Loosely potted in a large CHC/#4 sponge rock mix, full sun during the
summer outdoors and watered as a cattleya, which for me means a little
on the dry side. I think they naturally get a drier winter as I don't
water often enough in the growrooms, where they sit directly under a
400W MH. I usually get a small blooming in the mid-winter, Dec-Jan, and
a fuller blooming in the summer, sometimes lasting from June all the way
through August.

John Varigos 24-02-2007 11:48 PM

Ansellia africana v. nilotica

Thanks Tennis.

Sounds like I need to give them a bit more light.

Cheers

John