GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   non-orchid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/154260-non-orchid.html)

danny 18-02-2007 03:45 PM

non-orchid

1 Attachment(s)
This picture was taken a couple months ago, I'd never seen the plant in
bloom before.
-danny

al 18-02-2007 04:13 PM

non-orchid

Noxious weed alert! It actually blooms frequently, especially after a dry
period. It just that the flowers are so small and the plant so evil. It is
filling my greenhouse in great swoops from just a small bunch I got five or
so years ago. Everybody loves it when they see it and I often give them
armfuls. I may start using it as filler packing material.

Roy[_2_] 18-02-2007 09:22 PM

non-orchid

Danny

How small is the bloom? and what len did you use for the close up?

Roy

Diana Kulaga 18-02-2007 10:26 PM

non-orchid

Spanish moss? I've never seen it flower, nor look like that. It's all over
FL.

Diana

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Looks like Spanish Moss.
Gary

unknown[_1_] 19-02-2007 01:35 AM

non-orchid

In article iW_Bh.2459$Cr1.2309@trnddc08, "al"
wrote:

Noxious weed alert! It actually blooms frequently, especially after a dry
period. It just that the flowers are so small and the plant so evil. It is
filling my greenhouse in great swoops from just a small bunch I got five or
so years ago. Everybody loves it when they see it and I often give them
armfuls. I may start using it as filler packing material.

hey, as long as it ain't got chiggers, go for it. :)

reduce, reuse, etc.

--j_a

danny 19-02-2007 01:47 AM

non-orchid

1 Attachment(s)
The flowers aren't very big.
-danny

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Spanish moss? I've never seen it flower, nor look like that. It's all over
FL.

Diana

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Looks like Spanish Moss.
Gary

danny 19-02-2007 01:48 AM

non-orchid

1/4"? Definitely less than 1/2". I just used my old Nikon 4500 camera,
it's not an SLR. I really haven't used the DSLR much since I got it.
-danny

. ..

SuE 19-02-2007 04:38 AM

non-orchid

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:48:25 -0500, "danny" wrote:

1/4"? Definitely less than 1/2". I just used my old Nikon 4500 camera,
it's not an SLR. I really haven't used the DSLR much since I got it.
-danny

I will have to look closer at mine. IT has a triangular flower -- I
thought. I have not seen the recurved petals. Of course yours is
blown up so much it looks entirely different. But I knew as soon as I
saw it.

My husband votes with Al. I got mine from a woman who picked it up on
a golf course. She sprayed it with every bug killer in her house
before she mailed the package to me. She had never heard of it
blooming either.

My first batch I picked up in McDonald's parking lot in Orlando area.
It had been stormy the night before. I did not know it was known for
chiggers. For some reason I had a Shell no Pest strip in the car and
just packed that in the plastic bag with it until we got home. No
bugs then either.

Niek Hanckmann 19-02-2007 12:27 PM

non-orchid

2 Attachment(s)
Last summer I took a Tillandsia from a tree in Brasil, brought it home
and waited to see it flowering. The plant resembles Spanish Moss, but it
is not growing as vigourously. At the moment it is flowering, if you
would like to call it so. The flower is less than 2mm across! Hereby two
pictures, one of the flower and one of the plant.

Greets, Niek

By the way, if anyone knows the name of this species, I would be happy
to know!

danny schreef:
1/4"? Definitely less than 1/2". I just used my old Nikon 4500 camera,
it's not an SLR. I really haven't used the DSLR much since I got it.
-danny

. ..

Niek Hanckmann 19-02-2007 04:02 PM

non-orchid

Thank you!

Greets, Niek

Eric Hunt[_1_] 20-02-2007 03:31 PM

non-orchid

Danny,

Nice one! I like it better than my attempt from a few years ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/14092220/

Everyone out here seems to have a little in their greenhouse, but it's not a
rampant grower, probably because most people keep an intermediate greenhouse
rather than a steamy one.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org