Old 20-02-2007, 09:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Pancake Tuesday

Since I totally forgot to wish all the ladies in the ng a happy Valentine's Day
(apologies, ladies), it seemed a good idea to remind you all to feast on
pancakes tonight. You're all going to cut right back then until Easter, aren't
you? ;-)
Dave Gillingham
Old 20-02-2007, 03:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:48:00 +1000 in Dave Gillingham wrote:
Since I totally forgot to wish all the ladies in the ng a happy Valentine's Day
(apologies, ladies), it seemed a good idea to remind you all to feast on
pancakes tonight. You're all going to cut right back then until Easter, aren't
you? ;-)
Dave Gillingham

Reminds me of a recent conversation at the house...

Wife to kids while almost out of earshot... "We're giving up cheezits for Lent."
Me "What do you mean you're giving up Jesus for Lent?"

Granted, my tasks for the year include.
1) Seeing if the idea of a matzoh meal cream cheese poundcake is actually
workable...
2) Figuring out how to get the kids to eat lamb...

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 20-02-2007, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Well, Dave, we knew you were thinking of us with all your great big
chivalrous heart!

Chris, use the matzo meal to make matzo balls. Chicken soup-can't hurt,
might help, y'know. (Eeeyuuuuuuuu! Matzo meal pound cake............)

Diana

g...

Old 22-02-2007, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:25:55 -0500 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Well, Dave, we knew you were thinking of us with all your great big
chivalrous heart!

Chris, use the matzo meal to make matzo balls. Chicken soup-can't hurt,
might help, y'know. (Eeeyuuuuuuuu! Matzo meal pound cake............)

Well, they make a matzoh meal for cakes.
And there are recipes for matzoh meal sponge cakes.
And a group of new yorkers were very proud to have come up with
a matzoh meal poundcake for passover.

I figure it might work... the whole wheat poundcake worked...

Diana

g...

Old 22-02-2007, 03:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Can someone tell me what this 'pancake tuesday' thing is?
Old 22-02-2007, 09:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Final day before the commencement of Lent - a major period in the Catholic
calendar, leading up to the sacrifice of Easter - starts with Ash Wednesday.
Traditionally, I believe, this was the day you cleaned out your larder of all
the good things before commencing the period of self-denial leading to Easter.
Pancakes were a way of using up all the flour, as did the fillings for the rest
of the goodies. In times past, meat was forbidden, so savoury pancakes were
popular as well as the sweet ones.

If someone has more accurate information, please correct me.

Old 22-02-2007, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
to the strain... much like attacking a tank with a wiffle bat

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pancake Tuesday tomorrow Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 3 05-02-2008 01:24 AM
Freeze Tuesday night? Gene S Texas 7 10-04-2003 06:08 PM
[IBC] Martha Stewart on Tuesday, It's a good thing! dalecochoy Bonsai 8 26-02-2003 03:15 PM
[IBC] Martha Stewart on Tuesday Pat Patterson Bonsai 2 26-02-2003 06:40 AM
Feb. edition of "The Pond Newsletter" --posting on Tuesday! Justin Ponds 15 20-02-2003 02:15 AM