Old 24-02-2007, 01:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Mormodes tezontle x 2

Mormodes tezontle from Mexico, I think... Another returnee from the POE,
and all the anther caps are gone... I wonder if folks took my pollen? LOL!
Nah, more likely it was just beaten up in the display tear down. Those of
you who display yourplants should be aware of the fact that tear down means
exactly that. Toss 'em in a box and get the heck home!

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Mormodes tezontle x 2-dsc00081.jpg   Mormodes tezontle x 2-dsc00082.jpg
Old 24-02-2007, 01:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

These are beautiful, Kathy. I'll tell you, when we dismantle a display we're
in a hurry like everyone else, but I don't remember a damaged plant (at
least not in the 6-7 years I've been doing this - I've heard war stories,
though). The moss and lettuce get pushed around, but the orchids are still
treated with reverence.

Diana

. ..

Old 24-02-2007, 04:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I'll ask Gerardus!!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 24-02-2007, 04:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana,

*LAFF* Not here. People are so ready to get the hell outta dodge that they
really don't care about the flowers by the time breakdown arrives. But
you're right - the plant itself is never damaged.

I shoved my micro-mini Stelis into a pocket in my backpack - broke half the
inflorescences, but the thing will be back to show quality in 2 weeks
anyway - prolific little sucker! Not a leaf one damaged!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 24-02-2007, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Keyboard alert!

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news
I'll ask Gerardus!!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 24-02-2007, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

KB,

You don't have any pollen because the Mormodes throw it at the insect that
pollenates the flower. All you have to do is bump the plant and *BAM* you
have this sticky stuff with the pollen stuck to you. The glue is stronger
than superglue sometimes.

It's fun to show someone who doesn't know orchids. Have them go to touch
the flower and *BAM*.

Unfortunately, the flower soon dies after it does this.

I love the Mormodes and relatives.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 25-02-2007, 05:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Gene, the reply I sent sounded snotty when I looked at it later. Please
believe me I didn't intend it that way. Just that I knew going in that by
putting the Mormodes in the show (where it'd get all bumped and jostled in
transport etc) all the pollen would pop, so I made a lame joke about folks
stealing it.

Apologies in advance,

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
KB,

You don't have any pollen because the Mormodes throw it at the insect that
pollenates the flower. All you have to do is bump the plant and *BAM* you
have this sticky stuff with the pollen stuck to you. The glue is stronger
than superglue sometimes.

It's fun to show someone who doesn't know orchids. Have them go to touch
the flower and *BAM*.

Unfortunately, the flower soon dies after it does this.

I love the Mormodes and relatives.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 25-02-2007, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

KB,

Actually I was surprised you were able to get it to the show in the first
place. I had a Cycnodes Jean E. Monnier that bloomed and I took it to the
society meeting once. By the time I got to the meeting I had pollen all
over the car and the flowers died in the next 36 hours.

Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 25-02-2007, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

When I sent it there was only one flower open. The rest opened at the show.
I had a Morm. sinuata cross that was a fantastic deep purple color, when the
flowers open the female parts stayed closed and they all shingled together.
Then one by one they'd pop open as I'd trigger them or some bug would
trigger them. I was bummed when I finally lost that one to rot (I watered
too soon)

You are right they are great plants in the collection and some of my favs
(hence my email address). I have a Cyc cooperi that has been refusing to
die on me too. I keep thinking I've killed it for sure and then another
growth pops up and gets a tiny bit bigger every year.

What's his name...argh...the fellow who wrote 100 years of confusion about
the Catasetinae....George Carr, (that's it) says he's never been able to
keep more than 3 back bulbs on his catasetum collection. I can barely keep
one. How about you?

KB,

Actually I was surprised you were able to get it to the show in the first
place. I had a Cycnodes Jean E. Monnier that bloomed and I took it to the
society meeting once. By the time I got to the meeting I had pollen all
over the car and the flowers died in the next 36 hours.

Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 25-02-2007, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Mine seem to grow serially as well, one back bulb each year replacing one
that turns to ash. I see one of my plants is putting out three buds right
now (I don't recall which variety). They are still on their dry spell.
Fred Clarke told us at the orchid society meeting not to water them until
they are well rooted and a couple of inches tall. I'm trying to keep from
watering or messing with them.

I have a seed pod on a Mormodes Exotic Twist x Cycnodes Wine Delight cross.
It's been on 3 months now. Fred says to give it at least 4 months then
watch it closely. The Mormodes dropped the pod in the reciprical cross but
Wine Delight is proving to be a good parent so far.

The Mormodes was golden with lots of red spots (reminded me of an exotic cat
in the jungle). Of course Wine Delight is the FCC plant that grows very
large and dark red. I'm hoping for a red spotted well shaped flower. Until
now my crosses have mostly been species.

When I was making the cross back in November I had the sticky pollen sacks
all over my hands.

Good growing,
Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Mormodes tezontle from Mexico, I think... Another returnee from the
POE, and all the anther caps are gone... I wonder if folks took my
pollen? LOL! Nah, more likely it was just beaten up in the display
tear down. Those of you who display yourplants should be aware of the
fact that tear down means exactly that. Toss 'em in a box and get the
heck home!

K Barrett

Rate This Thread: