GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cym. Sarah Jean (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/155915-cym-sarah-jean.html)

wendy7 27-03-2007 06:22 AM

Cym. Sarah Jean

1 Attachment(s)
Cymbidium Sarah Jean 'Ice Capades' in full swing. One of my SBOE purchases.
Cheers Wendy

Niek Hanckmann 27-03-2007 01:34 PM

Cym. Sarah Jean

1 Attachment(s)
Wendy, I cannot 'beat' you with the Dend. aggregatum. Mine gave only one
flower (yes that is one single FLOWER) this year. I gave him the message
that he will be sold the next auction of our society ;-)

But..., my Cymbidium Sarah Jean is very floriferous! I bought it last
year with two spikes, now it has grown eight. Top that bid!

Greets, Niek

wendy7 27-03-2007 04:41 PM

Cym. Sarah Jean

Wow Good growing Niek, what is your secret? Do you think that rainwater has
something to do with it?
What kind of potting mix do you use?
Of course I can't take any credit for the Den. aggregatum, it is a
replacement for the one I killed.
Cheers Wendy

Niek Hanckmann 27-03-2007 06:10 PM

Cym. Sarah Jean

Hi Wendy,

I bought this plant last year as a shop orphan (Did cost me no more than
3 euro). It was still flowering by that time, but a week after buying it
the flowers were all gone.
It was potted in regular commercial mix and I dont like that because for
som reason I am not capable of controlling water and fertilizer. So I
repotted it in seramis which is a water containing clay pallet. That has
absolutely no nutricious value, so you have to fertilize heavily.
Then just the normal procedure for Cymbidiums. In summer lots of water,
lots of fertilizer and lots of sun (at least here in the Netherlands,
don't know about the light levels in California, probably a bit of
shading would be necessary). I keep them outside until the temperatures
drop below 5 degrees (C) and even then they get a cold and dry spot in
the greenhouse. They get a sort of rest, but not too severe, watering
every second or third week, but no fertilizer. Most of the cymbidium
hybrids flower somewhere in the wintermonths. At the end of april, when
the chances of frost have almost gone, they go outside again.

Greets, Niek

Diana Kulaga 28-03-2007 12:58 AM

Cym. Sarah Jean

Niek, did you give the aggregatum (now Lindleyii, by the way, though I have
a problem making those changes) a dry rest?

Diana

Niek Hanckmann 28-03-2007 09:35 PM

Cym. Sarah Jean

1 Attachment(s)
Well it had a dry rest more or less. My experience is that they can be
very hard to get growing after a too severe rest, so I keep them going a
little bit. Normally it produces lots of inflorescenses, but then the
buds dry out and fall off before they all open. This year it had only
one spike with one flower open. This is a picture of last years
flowering. Nothing spectacular, but better than one single flower!

Greets, Niek