GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Virus 4/4 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/156491-virus-4-4-a.html)

K Barrett 07-04-2007 11:35 PM

Virus 4/4

1 Attachment(s)
Last one. Lc Kiritsubo. Again the black dots on the leaves. I thought it
was thrips. [sigh]

K Barrett

John Varigos 07-04-2007 11:53 PM

Virus 4/4

Thanks for sharing Kathy

Your photos of virused plants led me to two thoughts

1. How easily one can spread virus if not careful (and even if one is
careful) and how difficult it is to identify in some cases.
2. There is money to be made if one can devise a quick, simple and cheap
test for the common viruses.

John

. ..

Diana Kulaga 08-04-2007 12:47 AM

Virus 4/4

Y'know, this should give us all pause. I expected to see something totally
different from what you posted. I guess I was thinking in terms of TMV.
Still, unless your plants are spotless (and few of us can claim that), it
seems almost impossible to tell whether you have virused plants or fungus or
something else.

Thrips? I have had thrips in the past, but they haven't damaged leaves.
Roots, yes, on Vandas. When I saw what you thought was thrip damage on
leaves, I thought mites.

Cheese, back to square one.

Diana

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for sharing Kathy

Your photos of virused plants led me to two thoughts

1. How easily one can spread virus if not careful (and even if one is
careful) and how difficult it is to identify in some cases.
2. There is money to be made if one can devise a quick, simple and cheap
test for the common viruses.

John

. ..

K Barrett 08-04-2007 05:32 AM

Virus 4/4

Ditto the need for cheap easy test. A friend told me he buys ELISA test
strips and checks all his new purchases. He gets them by the 100's. He
gave me the URL and I'll be damned if I could figure out what the heck the
place was selling www.agdia.com . so I just went with Critter Creek Labs.
http://www.crittercreeklab.com/

Yep.. It gives you pause.

K Barrett

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for sharing Kathy

Your photos of virused plants led me to two thoughts

1. How easily one can spread virus if not careful (and even if one is
careful) and how difficult it is to identify in some cases.
2. There is money to be made if one can devise a quick, simple and cheap
test for the common viruses.

John

. ..

wendy7 08-04-2007 05:44 AM

Virus 4/4

Yes indeed, I paused to think............I probably have about 2000 orchid &
they all have spots, streaks, creases, blotches.
I could not afford to have them tested so will instruct by testament that
they all burn with me when the time comes!!!
Cheers Wendy
. ..

K Barrett 08-04-2007 05:23 PM

Virus 4/4

Makes me think I should post what I thought was virus and turned out not to
be. Just so we all can get thoroughly confused. *G*

K Barrett
(No, I won't do that. I've already freaked us out too much, LOL!)

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Yes indeed, I paused to think............I probably have about 2000 orchid
& they all have spots, streaks, creases, blotches.
I could not afford to have them tested so will instruct by testament that
they all burn with me when the time comes!!!
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Jerry Hoffmeister 09-04-2007 12:24 AM

Virus 4/4

please do :)

makes me sad too - i have a lot of plants that look like ur pictures :(

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Yes indeed, I paused to think............I probably have about 2000
orchid & they all have spots, streaks, creases, blotches.
I could not afford to have them tested so will instruct by testament that
they all burn with me when the time comes!!!
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Diana Kulaga 09-04-2007 01:21 AM

Virus 4/4

Actually, Kathy, I'd like to see what you thought was a virus and turned out
clean. Post it, will you?

Diana

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
please do :)

makes me sad too - i have a lot of plants that look like ur pictures :(

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Yes indeed, I paused to think............I probably have about 2000
orchid & they all have spots, streaks, creases, blotches.
I could not afford to have them tested so will instruct by testament
that they all burn with me when the time comes!!!
Cheers Wendy
. ..