Old 21-04-2007, 03:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Lycaste - scale question

My Lycaste purchased last month from SBOE is still in bloom but the first
two flowers are just about done. The two huge leaves turned
yellow & fell off. Upon inspection found some huge hard brown scale!

Does anyone know if there would be scale eggs in the potting mix? I have
never seen this type of scale
before so not about to put this plant in the greenhouse.

What would you do?
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
Lycaste - scale question-patio-lycastedsc00619.jpg
Old 21-04-2007, 03:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy, I do not grow Lycastes. But I remember a case of hard brown scale on
a Miltassia that I bought at a society sale several years ago. It developed
seemingly overnight, though it must have been there when I bought it. It was
the ugliest thing I ever saw on an orchid. I put the whole plant in a bucket
of water, alcohol and soap for several hours. When I took it out, the scale
slid off easily. The plant thrives today.

Diana

Old 21-04-2007, 04:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy,
I think that the two huge leaves did not turn yellow and fell of because
of the scales, but because of their decidiousness. Normally the leaves
on Lycastes last for only one growing season. Some hybrids can hold them
a bit longer, with a maximum of two (three???) years, depending on their
ancestry.

Keep a good look on the new leaves for scale infection. If necessary
treat as Diana mentions below. And it is always wise to not put infected
plants together with healthy ones.

Greets, succes with the beautiful plant!
Niek

Old 21-04-2007, 04:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the info Diana & Niek, will try the bucket method before the
plant kicks it!!!
Cheers Wendy

.. .

"Wendy7" wrote in message
My Lycaste purchased last month from SBOE is still in bloom but the first
two flowers are just about done. The two huge leaves turned
yellow & fell off. Upon inspection found some huge hard brown scale!

Does anyone know if there would be scale eggs in the potting mix? I have
never seen this type of scale
before so not about to put this plant in the greenhouse.

What would you do?
Cheers Wendy

Rate This Thread: