Old 27-04-2007, 03:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Blc. Ronald Hausermann

An oldie, but goodie!

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Blc. Ronald Hausermann-blc.-ronald-hausermann-07.jpg
Old 27-04-2007, 04:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Bravo, Roy!

Diana

Old 27-04-2007, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wowzer! Lovely colours & so neat & tidy Roy. Good growing to you. Cheers Wendy

Roy
Old 27-04-2007, 07:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy

I had a good time with this one. In late 06 I busted up a overgrown 10 in pot and divided it into 3 8in pot and anothet 10 in for the big piece. I used plain garden lava rock from Home Depoe. I watered them heavy since Jan. and bingo, Flowers. They really took to the lava.

Roy

Old 28-04-2007, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Amazing how they grow in anything that has air pockets, free draining & a container to give them security.
Hmmm, lave rock eh? I have been looking for something to mix & cut down on bark.
Did you wash or rinse the lava rock?
Cheers Wendy

Old 29-04-2007, 12:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Wendy.

I bought it at Walmart because Alaflor was getting hard to find. No, I didn.t wash it since I used it straight and the pieces were on the large size. Besides as soon as I watered it the dust care right out of the pot.

How are you doing finding Rexius Bark? Its getting scarce around here. I hope they get the mill back up and running again.

Roy

Old 29-04-2007, 01:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Roy wrote:

[snip]
How are you doing finding Rexius Bark? Its getting scarce around here. I
hope they get the mill back up and running again.

Roy

I was reduced to buying "orchid bark" at my local nursery. Probably 1/3
to 1/2 of it sinks to the bottom when pre-soaked.... I used the sinkers
(gods forgive me) on the catasetums figuring they'd like the extra
moisture and knowing I repot annually. The paphs are getting it too,
knowing they get repotted annually, too. The catts and other stuff get
the floaters. Sigh. Such is the world....

K Barrett
Old 29-04-2007, 05:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Roy not sure about "Rexius"? Is that a brand? I used to get Kellogs brand which was very nice, clean & uniform.
Unfortunately my friend moved away, I think you have to have a business, no retail. Somewhere up in Compton or S. of LA?
The last couple bags were from Orange County Farm Supply in the city of Orange. Not bad stuff at all.
Of course, I have forgotton where you grow Roy.
Cheers Wendy

Old 29-04-2007, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Roy is in southwest Florida, Wendy, down near Venice.

Diana

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Amazing how they grow in anything that has air pockets, free draining & a
container to give them security.
Hmmm, lave rock eh? I have been looking for something to mix & cut down on
bark.
Did you wash or rinse the lava rock?
Cheers Wendy

news Wendy

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Wowzer! Lovely colours & so neat & tidy Roy. Good growing to you. Cheers
Wendy
"Roy" wrote in message
news An oldie, but goodie!

Roy

Old 30-04-2007, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

"P Max" wrote in message ...
Its interesting that you use lava rock, Roy! The growers in tropical Nth Queensland use what we call "scoria" as pot media, with great results. Its probably the same thing as your "lava rock". Its the light bubbly rock ash spewed out during ancient volcanic eruptions. They say its the only media that works up there, as the tropical conditions breaks down organic mediums too rapidly. Scoria is perpetual - doesn't disintegrate. However, scoria from the quarries in my district is very alkaline ( 9) and so I hesitate to use it.
Peter

It is the same idea. Here they use it in landscape if your from the
Midwest and do not understand the winds. The second year you put down
crushed rock or river rock as all the lava rock has blown away. It
has a tendency to have glass like edges in places where it breaks. I
used it in a too small container and it crushed resulting in sharp
shards. In large pots or very large pots it helps reduce the weight
but still gives a rock style air pocket.
SuE
Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"SuE" wrote in message

It is the same idea. Here they use it in landscape if your from the
Midwest and do not understand the winds. The second year you put down
crushed rock or river rock as all the lava rock has blown away. It
has a tendency to have glass like edges in places where it breaks. I
used it in a too small container and it crushed resulting in sharp
shards. In large pots or very large pots it helps reduce the weight
but still gives a rock style air pocket.
SuE

Sue would the lava rock not be too sharp for the orchid roots? Would it not
sever the roots
when repotting? I have some red lava rock around my rose garden, shall
have to check it
& maybe try one plant.
Cheers Wendy

Rate This Thread: