Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Orchis Cactus - "Orchid Cactus - resize.JPG" 159.4 kBytes yEnc

I took this picture yesterday with my new camera. The person who gave me this plant said it is an 'Orchid Cactus' but I thought it was a succulent and have it growing in regular soil. It's bloomed over the years with these beautiful fragrant blossoms but
they only last a day or so. I've tried to look it up on the Internet but, I guess, it's only a generic name for a few plants, among these are mostly plants that grow in tree tops. I'm confused. It looks like a succulent to me but my research says it's an
orchid?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orchid Cactus - resize.JPG (159.5 KB, 981 views)
Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Can't see it, Mike. It's encrypted or something. I think we had this problem
once before; don't know if it was your photos, though.

Diana

Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

hi Diana. It's yEnc encryption. Shall I use something else like UUE or MIME? BTW I misspelled orchid. Oh, I got the message I sent and the picture got through for me...

Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Mike,

It is a Cactus indeed. It belongs to the genus Epiphyllum and the common
name for these is "Orchid Cactus" probably because of their splendid
flowers. Has nothing to do with Orchids though. It is difficult to say
what species or hybrid this is.
Many of the species of Epiphyllum grow epifytically, just like our
orchids. They grow easily in to large specimen plants that can have many
flowers.

Greets, Niek

Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Mike

The problem is that many of us use Otlook Express to access these newsgroups
and it does not support yEnc encryption.

Attached is your decoded photo - it is definately NOT an orchid! As Niek
says it belongs to Epiphyllum genus.

Cheers

John

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Can't see it, Mike. It's encrypted or something. I think we had this
problem
once before; don't know if it was your photos, though.

Diana

Attached Thumbnails
Orchis Cactus - "Orchid Cactus - resize.JPG" 159.4 kBytes yEnc-orchid-cactus-resize.jpg

Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Thu, 03 May 2007 10:14:07 +0200, Niek Hanckmann
wrote:

Hi Mike,

It is a Cactus indeed. It belongs to the genus Epiphyllum and the common
name for these is "Orchid Cactus" probably because of their splendid
flowers. Has nothing to do with Orchids though. It is difficult to say
what species or hybrid this is.
Many of the species of Epiphyllum grow epifytically, just like our
orchids. They grow easily in to large specimen plants that can have many
flowers.

Greets, Niek

They had several red ones at the AOS show in the sales booths. They
love to grow in and with Orchids. They take the same treatment if not
grown in heavy soil. They amount of water depends on the media they
are potted in. So some are grown in a more open mix and in the middle
of a cattleya collection. Else they need to be on the edge where you
can avoid watering. They tend to grow exaggerated roots if allowed
and will adhere to brick or tree limbs as our mounted plants do. I
had one escape the pot and travel a distance on the brick side wall in
the gh.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sue,

Epiphyllums are banned from the OrchidMania greenhouse - they love it too
much in there, and rampantly grow from mount to mount and pot to pot.
Probably something to do with the Dosatron we have on our watering wand plus
the great humidity and warmth in our warm house. =)

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"SuE" wrote in message
They had several red ones at the AOS show in the sales booths. They
love to grow in and with Orchids. They take the same treatment if not

Rate This Thread: