GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chrysocycnis schlimii - extremely rare Stanhopea relative (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/159282-chrysocycnis-schlimii-extremely-rare-stanhopea-relative.html)

Eric Hunt[_1_] 29-05-2007 02:25 AM

Chrysocycnis schlimii - extremely rare Stanhopea relative

1 Attachment(s)
I was with Ron Parsons when we visited Petite Plaisance in Sonoma County. He
about peed himself when he saw this guy in flower. Very VERY rare in
cultivation.

--
Enjoy!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

K Barrett 29-05-2007 04:36 PM

Chrysocycnis schlimii - extremely rare Stanhopea relative

Supposedly these grow way tall and have a huge rhizome space between
pseudobulbs. Did the plant look like that? I read that (argh) the fellow
who lived in Venezuela had these growing on trees in his yard and he had to
take a ladder to see the blooms at the tips. It would be just like orchids
to have this not be true in real life. The bloom should be less than an
inch big? Yes? No?

K Barrett

Eric Hunt 29-05-2007 06:07 PM

Chrysocycnis schlimii - extremely rare Stanhopea relative

Kathy,

Yup - long rhizome space - flower about an inch to two inches - on a
gangly plant that was about 2 feet tall.

-Eric

K Barrett 29-05-2007 09:23 PM

Chrysocycnis schlimii - extremely rare Stanhopea relative

Thanks Eric, Dunsterville's plant had about a foot between p/bulbs and was
about 10-15 fet tall. He'd top it and then start over. I wonder if that's
what Jim did.