GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pelorism? x2 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/159603-pelorism-x2.html)

K Barrett 05-06-2007 04:46 AM

Pelorism? x2

2 Attachment(s)
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

Ray B 05-06-2007 11:45 AM

Pelorism? x2

Nope. Merely deformation.

Pelorism is defined as having symmetry where it is not expected - e.g.,
petals modified so they look like lips, lip modified so it looks like a
petal, either giving us three where there should be one lip and three
"ordinary" petals.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

wendy7 05-06-2007 05:17 PM

Pelorism? x2

1 Attachment(s)
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like a
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

K Barrett 05-06-2007 05:19 PM

Pelorism? x2

Deformation from what???? Just the way things go? I can't think of anything
I've done except not repotted this in 2 years. Last bloom 6 mos ago was so
good I almost brought it in for judging. Ploidy problem? grrr. Its
ticking me off.

"Ray B" wrote in message
Nope. Merely deformation.

Pelorism is defined as having symmetry where it is not expected - e.g.,
petals modified so they look like lips, lip modified so it looks like a
petal, either giving us three where there should be one lip and three
"ordinary" petals.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

K Barrett 05-06-2007 09:46 PM

Pelorism? x2

Sorry Ray. This post reads crabbier than I intended. I intended it to look
mostly puzzled, not challenging or angry, and it reads angry/crabby to me.
Wendy reminds me that I did spray with an orthene a few weeks ago, but I'd a
thought the buds were further along in formation and wouldn't cripple.... I
guess not!

Again, sorry if you misinterpreted my post.

"Ray B" wrote in message
Nope. Merely deformation.

Pelorism is defined as having symmetry where it is not expected - e.g.,
petals modified so they look like lips, lip modified so it looks like a
petal, either giving us three where there should be one lip and three
"ordinary" petals.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

K Barrett 05-06-2007 09:51 PM

Pelorism? x2

Wendy, you are right! I did spray a few (2?? 3??) weeks ago with an orthene
product, so I guess that could be it. I'll wait to see how it blooms next
time. As to your Canhamiana I had a mossiae that bloomed with those same
streaks and like an idiot I tossed it. Later I found another plant that I
forgot to toss out becasue it bloomed with streaks too (I think it was a
Canhamianna 'Azure Sky) and it bloomed the next year just fine. So I'd say
keep your isolated (just in case) but wait and see what happens next year.

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like a
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

Ray B 05-06-2007 10:23 PM

Pelorism? x2

Don't worry about it Kath.

I'd have voted for a chemical reaction, too.

. ..

"Ray B" wrote in message
Nope. Merely deformation.

Pelorism is defined as having symmetry where it is not expected - e.g.,
petals modified so they look like lips, lip modified so it looks like a
petal, either giving us three where there should be one lip and three
"ordinary" petals.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

John Varigos 06-06-2007 12:29 AM

Pelorism? x2

Hi Kathy

Cold temperatures can also cause this to happen. I have a Vanda tricolor
that regularly gave me deformed/fused floral segments until I increased the
minimum temperature.

Cheers

John

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like a
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

wendy7 06-06-2007 12:50 AM

Pelorism? x2

Oh I would imagine if it were chemical it would have to be something
systemic, the one I used was. They took
it off the shelf here in CA.
I will keep my plant isolated for sure.
Cheers Wendy
. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like a
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

K Barrett 06-06-2007 04:21 AM

Pelorism? x2

I have a Blc (Slc?) Natalie Canipeli 'Moonshot' that is blooming this year
with fused buds, too.

I gotta get better at this hobby.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Kathy

Cold temperatures can also cause this to happen. I have a Vanda tricolor
that regularly gave me deformed/fused floral segments until I increased
the minimum temperature.

Cheers

John

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like a
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to open a vein.

K Barrett

Ray B 06-06-2007 01:05 PM

Pelorism? x2

FWIW, I have a Lowara Judy Barrick (B. flagellaris x Sl Smoking Mirror) that
was the "runt of the litter" from a mass of seedlings I got from Allen Black
a few years ago. It somehow survived my neglect, mounted on a cork slab,
and just bloomed for the first time with two blossoms.

This looks like it may some day be a really nice plant, but this time, one
blossom was simply missing a petal, while the other had both of them fused
with the lip.

The plant was sprayed with a Bayer Tree & Shrub formulation containing Merit
while in small bud, but obviously don't know if that contributed.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Blc (Slc?) Natalie Canipeli 'Moonshot' that is blooming this year
with fused buds, too.

I gotta get better at this hobby.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Kathy

Cold temperatures can also cause this to happen. I have a Vanda tricolor
that regularly gave me deformed/fused floral segments until I increased
the minimum temperature.

Cheers

John

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..