Old 15-06-2007, 01:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default A quiz. Name That Orchid

The leaves & the pseudos are quite different to others. The leaves are very
firm, the pseudos are quite large about
3inches across & have spots on them?
A very slow grower for me & oh yes, I have mislaid the tag?
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
A quiz.   Name That Orchid-dsc00984.jpg

Old 15-06-2007, 11:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

So you mean that you can't tell us if were right???

--

Yours Sincerely
Kye

Old 15-06-2007, 03:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Ray, At least I don't have to worry about the spots. I have an
onustum that is mounted but this plant is
quite different.
Cheers Wendy

Old 15-06-2007, 03:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Kye,
I am hoping for someone to jar my memory! It had a tag but it is missing &
this is the first flowering so I
can't look in my photos either.
The quiz part in the Subject line was just to get you to look! *g*
Cheers Wendy

Old 15-06-2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Oncidium ampliatum

http://www.orchidspecies.com/oncampliatum.htm

It's blooming now. Psudobulbs look like turtles on their back....

Gene

Old 15-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

And it's just a baby! It will get very large and beautiful. Mine has about
100 flowers on it on two spikes and it's not full grown. I have another one
with about 6 pseudobulbs that decided not to bloom this season.

Gene

Old 15-06-2007, 09:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

By jove, I think he's got it! I do have that name in my data base & J
Pfahl's description of the species sounds
spot on. Thanks Gene. Are they very slow growers then or is it just me?
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-06-2007, 01:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Mine usually grows one new P-bulb a year on one plant and the other has
broken two leads so I get two new p-bulbs. After the p-bulb matures (late
late winter here) I usually see a spike begin. The one that bloomed this
year started over two months ago and is still going. Probably have another
month of blooms coming then I expect it to start growing and the cycle
begins anew.

One of mine (the bloomer) is growing in a vanda basket made of wood. The
larger plant that didn't bloom is overflowing a 6 inch clay pot.

They are great plants and interesting even when they aren't in bloom.

Good growing,
Gene

"Wendy7" wrote in message
The leaves & the pseudos are quite different to others. The leaves are
very
firm, the pseudos are quite large about
3inches across & have spots on them?
A very slow grower for me & oh yes, I have mislaid the tag?
Cheers Wendy

Rate This Thread: