Old 19-06-2007, 01:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Trichocentrum pulchrum - my dilemma (2 photos)

Two Trichocentrum plants were benched at the meeting. The one with a yellow
marked labellum was labelled Trichocentrum pulchrum. The one with the red
marked labellum was labelled Trichocentrum brandtiae. They looked quite
distinct. On checking the names on the Kew Monocots page, they list
Trichocentrum brandtiae as a synonym of Trichocentrum pulchrum. Jay Pfahl
has them as separate species. What do others think? Are they really the
same species? Who would want to be a taxonomist?

This species is found from Venezuela through to Peru.

--
John Varigos
Melbourne, Australia

Attached Thumbnails
Trichocentrum pulchrum - my dilemma (2 photos)-trichocentrum-brandtiae-syn-trichocentrum-pulchrum-.jpg   Trichocentrum pulchrum - my dilemma (2 photos)-trichocentrum-pulchrum.jpg

Old 19-06-2007, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

If they were in my collection I would probably note the names Jay puts to
them on the labels just so I can remember which is which. Unless, you are
planning to hybridize them or they are going to judging the name doesn't
mean much.

Officially, I would say that Kew overrules Jay.

You could just wait a year and some taxonomist will need a subject to write
his thesis on and probably change the name anyway.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 21-06-2007, 04:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

Color is typically not considered when identifying orchid species. In fact,
many taxonomists work from reconstituted pressed materials or spirit
preserved flowers.

Each method of preservation does not preserve color - only the morphologic
structure of the flower. Things like the shape, position, and number of
calli and other bug-scale features are used to distinguish one species from
another.

For most orchids, especially epiphytes, the primary pollinator is an insect.
These bumps, ridges, and other features serve to guide the insect to the
target: pollination.

Insects also see in different wavelengths than humans, so the colors we see
are not the colors an insect sees.

That means one must look at a flower in black and white to identify it to
species.

-Eric

Old 21-06-2007, 10:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Agreed Eric, but why are these then considered conspecific by Kew yet Jay
considers them to be different species. If you ignore colour they sure look
alike, so does that mean that Kew is correct?

John

news

Old 22-06-2007, 05:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

Don't have an answer there. They looked pretty much the same to me, too.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Agreed Eric, but why are these then considered conspecific by Kew yet Jay
considers them to be different species. If you ignore colour they sure
look alike, so does that mean that Kew is correct?

Rate This Thread: