Old 24-06-2007, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Worried about my Aerangis Verdicosa

I am worried abou my Aerangis Verdicosa. The leaves seem to shrivel then
turn this pinkish
orangy color & drop off. I have lost two other African species the same
way.
What to do?
They get watered twice a week in this warm weather & reside in my slightly
warmer intermediate g/h environment.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
Worried about my Aerangis Verdicosa-aerangis-verdicosa-1126-01012.jpg

Old 24-06-2007, 12:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I didn't have an aeringis do this but I did have a Meiracyllium do it. I
dunked it for a while in Physan, gave it a little more shade for a while,
and packed the clay pot below with sphagnum for increased constant humidity.
I placed one, one time, in a plastic shoe box and lost it. Too much
humidity? No air movement. Anyway, it has recouperated but not yet regrown
to its former self.
Gary

Old 24-06-2007, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kathy, I am wondering if it could be that they need good water, like rain or
RO?
Maybe I will ping Paul Simon, he grows these.
I always check on Andy's culture because we are in the same
area. For most of these Africans, he advocates 3 to 5 waterings a week!!!
Also to let dry inbetween?

. ..

Old 24-06-2007, 03:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi there Gary, Another reason I am worried is because I aquired a number of
these Africans, indirectly from a
grower in S.Africa. Upon looking at my data base, it's these ones that are
croaking on me?
Will try the Physan & see what happens.
On the shoe box routine, you just need one of those little computer fans!
*G*
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-06-2007, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

How long have you had them, Wendy? I had mine probably 2-4 years. I got it
on my last trip to the Santa Barbara area from a reputable vendor. Mine was
mounted on cork. I looked at mine yesterday and it was deaddeaddead. Even
the stalk was soft. So I tossed it. No sign of life.

Harry Phillips came and talked to our society about growing mounted orchids.
His main point was not only the frequency of watering (3-5 times a week) but
also the duration. He says after work he'll go out and water his orchids,
watch all the roots turn green, go in the house, eat dinner, then come back
out and water again, watch all the roots turn green, go back in the house,
watch a little TV, go back out to water again, watch all the roots turn
green, then go back in the house and finish watching TV or whatever. So
they get a long drink. Not that I advocate watering at night. Its
important to realize Harry lives in San Diego where its warmer than here and
I'll bet he gets alot of air movement in his greenhouse/ growing area, too.
So the plants dry.

Watering that frequently I'd be they'd like a better quality of water. (As
you recall watering is my downfall, something I've tried to remedy this
year.)

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Kathy, I am wondering if it could be that they need good water, like rain
or RO?
Maybe I will ping Paul Simon, he grows these.
I always check on Andy's culture because we are in the same
area. For most of these Africans, he advocates 3 to 5 waterings a
week!!! Also to let dry inbetween?

. ..

Old 24-06-2007, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

My data base tells me this one Aerangis Verdicosa (somalensis x fastuosa)
was purchase in 2004 & from a young couple
starting out in Colorado & NOT as I was telling Gary from Stellenbosch?

This is another reason to keep a track of what dies, I usually throw the tag
in a shoebox & delete from my data base.

Is Harry Phillips aka Andy? The guy that grows everything on sticks & looks
like he is 18!!!

I am going out to water my sticks *G*
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Kathy, I am wondering if it could be that they need good water, like rain
or RO?
Maybe I will ping Paul Simon, he grows these.
I always check on Andy's culture because we are in the same
area. For most of these Africans, he advocates 3 to 5 waterings a
week!!! Also to let dry inbetween?

. ..

Old 25-06-2007, 07:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've had this problem before and have attached a picture. It is Aerangis
verdikii. After I had it a year or two the leaves began to turn orange and
then one of the bottom ones fell off. I moved it to a shadier part of
greenhouse where almost all the rest of the leaves fell off, too. Gradually
two keikis have developed and it seems to be doing better.

I don't think it was just the change from sun to shade, but watering.
During the summer I have an automatic mister with a humidistat and they get
plenty of water. We have very soft water up here, direct from the Sierra
(Hetch Hetchy). I did notice that the leaves on your plant look a little
shriveled and that the roots were white. Try some more water. I would also
mist or water the plant at least every day.

PS a little hint. Every spring I put a bead or two of Osmocote or Nutricote
behind the main stem of the mounted plants so that they get a steady dose of
fertilizer whenever they get wet.

Paul

"Wendy7" wrote in message
I am worried abou my Aerangis Verdicosa. The leaves seem to shrivel then
turn this pinkish
orangy color & drop off. I have lost two other African species the same
way.
What to do?
They get watered twice a week in this warm weather & reside in my slightly
warmer intermediate g/h environment.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
Worried about my Aerangis Verdicosa-aer.-verdikii.jpg
Old 26-06-2007, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Worried about my Aerangis Verticosa- correct spelling

Hi Paul, Yes, the leaves are identical to another plant that died on me,
it could have been Verdikii?
I will definately up the water, I usually do in summer but will try for
something more automatic.
Thanks ever so much for responding & for the tips.
Cheers Wendy

Old 30-06-2007, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I'm thinking more water than twice a week. In my greenhouse, Aerangis
luteo-alba var rhodosticta (or whatever it is being called now) gets water
every day on its cork slab. It is thriving. Your roots look to be similar.

David

Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Paul,

I've just started growing Aerangis and one of the first things I read was
that these are drier-rest plants during the winter when they're not in
active growth. I haven't had mine a full season yet, but I'm definitely
going to pay close attention as the fall approaches and see what happens
when I slow their water down a bit.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy,

I would definitely say you're not watering them enough, especially if it's
warm and the humidity goes below 80%. If you step up the watering, you might
need to make sure there is good air movement so they dry off quickly.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks you too Eric & will pay more attention, I feel like such a bad mom to
my babies!!!
Cheers Wendy
news

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks ever so much David, I have moved a couple of the strugglers to a
side that is getting a misty spray.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Paul's aerangis joe Orchids 5 17-07-2003 05:59 PM
Paul's aerangis joe Orchids 0 17-07-2003 04:27 PM
Paul's aerangis joe Orchids 0 17-07-2003 04:24 PM
Paul's aerangis joe Orchids 0 17-07-2003 09:42 AM
Aerangis citrata needs help Carlo Orchids 1 10-06-2003 08:20 PM