Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

Default Online Gallery

How would people feel about an online gallery open to all abpo members as a
place to post and permanently preserve images???

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Whoa, what an idea! Are you offering? I know that many have looked for
images that were posted years ago, but were unable to access them.

Only fitting that the founder of abpo would create an update!

Diana

Old 08-08-2007, 05:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kye wrote:
How would people feel about an online gallery open to all abpo members as a
place to post and permanently preserve images???

I wouldn't post any pictures anymore.

K Barrett
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

I am sort of offering yes... Depending on costing.
--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Would you provide copyright protection in the archive? On individual
pictures? On each individual's pictures? I have reservations about others
accessing the pictures and stealing the whole group for their own use.
Gareth Wills

Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kye

Would this site be password protected to ensure access by abpo members
only - which begs the question, what is an abpo member considering abpo is
an open usenet forum?

Not sure how this would work. Can you please expand your idea? How do you
see it working?

Cheers

John

Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
al al is offline

http://archive.xusenet.com/f/Usenet_...ids/index.html
almost 1000 pictures already archived....

I am not convinced, however, that all of the pictures in this "archive"
actually came from here.

I am sure there are other archives to be found.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Al for directing me to a site that is using many of my photos posted
on ABPO without permission or acknowledgment. Raises the question about
posting to the Internet either in usenet groups or picture sites such as
Flickr and the subsequent use of ones photos for profit.

I note that this site is also using many photos from various posters who
have marked them as copyright. Seems to make no difference. I am now
starting to question whether I will continue to post to usenet. I note that
Eric has stopped posting here.

John

Old 09-08-2007, 11:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kye, I would still post here. One of the special features of the ng is the
friendship & interaction that goes with postings. eg. did you notice the
enthusiasm with which Mariana ("Jane Doe") was welcomed back? I can't see that
the same sense of fellowship would go with an archival gallery.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:09:55 GMT, "Kye" wrote:

How would people feel about an online gallery open to all abpo members as a
place to post and permanently preserve images???

Dave Gillingham
Old 12-08-2007, 04:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kye,

I wouldn't oppose it (if done as opt-in rather than opt-out) but don't see a
strong need. Everything I post is already on my own website and Flickr.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kath and everyone,

Work is always busy, but the main reason for the absence is a lull in the
orchid photography and a surge in the non-orchid photography. I've not
really photographed much that was super-exciting.

There will be a lot coming - I need to get back to Golden Gate Orchids and
the next Pleurothallid Alliance meeting is at Bob/Johns/Joe/Dan's place in
Pacifica - should have a slew of new things from there.

I've also spent a lot of time moving www.plantworld.org over to a new
hosting company - that's pretty much done. Now I've got a lot of non-orchid
plant photography to work on, so if you're on Flickr, you'll see a lot more
stuff.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

Nah, see my other post for why I've not been around.

Photo piracy, like Music and Video piracy, is a fact of life, and while I
police it when and where I find it, I'm going to continue posting. Too many
people benefit from all of our work and time in documenting the rich plant
life on this planet for thieves to stop that. Of course, everyone has to
make that decision for themselves.

I'll check out that site and if I think a nicely composed email outlining
what can happen to those who use photos without permission will be useful,
I'll send it.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
starting to question whether I will continue to post to usenet. I note
that Eric has stopped posting here.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Web Pages and Gallery Jim Lewis Bonsai 18 22-06-2011 08:11 PM
[IBC] IBC Photo Gallery kaflooie David J. Bockman Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 07:32 PM
Gallery Donald Veasey Bonsai 0 28-02-2003 02:34 AM
Tally OS Feb 2003 Show Table Gallery On-line! Prem Subrahmanyam Gardening 2 07-02-2003 09:12 PM
Tally OS Feb 2003 Show Table Gallery On-line! Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 2 07-02-2003 09:12 PM