Old 22-08-2007, 09:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

Went to the QOS show last weekend. The Spring bloomers are just starting to
show. (There's q straight line if ever I saw one!) Many lovely plants there,
but a small selection of the Aussie species & hybrids over the next couple of
nights.

This was a lovely specimen of Dockrillia teretifolia. I was speaking to one of
the judges, who said it just missed out on Champion Specimen.

For the purists who like a good closeup of a bloom, this species typically
presents upside down so that, short of kneeling very awkwardly & then pointing
the camera up, you can't get a good view of the flower :-(
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia-dockrillia-teretifolia.jpg

Old 22-08-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:06:03 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Wow, what a plant!

Diana

Diana don't you and Frank need 2 -- one on each end of the patio?
grin
That is a true display of dedication to growing long term. The only
ones I have seen could be held in one hand. Marvelous.
SuE
Old 23-08-2007, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sue,

We can grow them like that on this side of the pond!

Witness Marni Turkel's Dockrillia teretifolia, blooming this past February,
exhibited at the Pacific Orchid Exposition:

http://tinyurl.com/2fgyrp

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 23-08-2007, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Glad you all liked it. One common name is "bridal veil orchid" - you can see
why! But then, another common name is "rat's tail orchid"!

On a bushwalk a couple of years ago we saw a huge example growing from the base
of a staghorn very high up in a large tree. Not in bloom unfortunately. 300 mm
lens photo attached. I've been back a couple of times since, but have not yet
caught it flowering. I would estimate its length to be at least 15 feet.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:21:08 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Went to the QOS show last weekend. The Spring bloomers are just starting to
show. (There's q straight line if ever I saw one!) Many lovely plants there,
but a small selection of the Aussie species & hybrids over the next couple of
nights.

This was a lovely specimen of Dockrillia teretifolia. I was speaking to one of
the judges, who said it just missed out on Champion Specimen.

For the purists who like a good closeup of a bloom, this species typically
presents upside down so that, short of kneeling very awkwardly & then pointing
the camera up, you can't get a good view of the flower :-(
Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia-dock-teretifolia-stag.jpg

Old 26-08-2007, 11:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks, Peter.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:32:54 GMT, "P Max" wrote:

Great in situ shots, Dave,
Peter

Dave Gillingham

Rate This Thread: