Old 15-09-2007, 10:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Dendrobium jonesii

Has been known as D. speciosum var fusiforme, D. fusiforme, D. ruppianum, & now
generally accepted as D. jonesii after the original collector, Alan Jones;
though David Jones has reclassified it as Thelychiton jonesii.

It's a plant of our eastern tropical highlands, from about Townsville north.
Usually listed as epiphytic in rainforests, I've seen some magnificent specimens
growing in full sun on rocks in the Mt Lewis area. One of our society members
advised me this lithophytic variant was D. jonesii var magnificum.

This one was flowering nicely on the day of our meeting & I intended to bench
it. It was a funny day - cool morning, very hot afternoon - & when I went to
put it in the car all the flowers had closed up :-(

Next day - nicely open again.

When you look at the growth habit - spindle shaped bulbs, leaves leathery but
nothing like as thick & beefy as speciosum leaves - there is little doubt it's
not a speciosum variant.
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium jonesii-den-jones-01.jpg

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Dendrobium Judith - Dendrobium Judith-a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 1 11-03-2013 01:42 PM
Dendrobium monophyllum - cute small yellow dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 03-01-2007 08:59 AM
Dendrobium johannis - lovely rich brown antelope dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 06:26 AM
What is a Dendrobium? Andrew Orchids 18 14-02-2003 03:39 AM
Dendrobium himezakura sanokku Ted Byers Orchids 10 10-02-2003 05:26 PM