Old 15-09-2007, 10:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Dendrobium Walter Upton x discolor

D Walter Upton is D mirbelianum x D nindii, both of which grow in mangroves,
swamps & other hot, humid, high rainfall areas from far N Queensland up to New
Guinea and (mirbelianum) the Solomons. Neither can be expected to do well out
of the tropics. I'm guessing that's why it was crossed on to discolor, to make
it more adaptable.

This plant was given to me by one of our society members with the remark:
"Here! See what you can do with this."

Not sure whether this meant he had given up with it, or whether he was just
setting me a challenge.

Anyway, it bloomed & here it is. Mind you, all three components bloom far
better than this in their natural environment - all with racemes at least a
couple of feet long & 30 or more blooms. But at least I've flowered it!
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium Walter Upton x discolor-den-wuxdsc-01.jpg

Rate This Thread: