Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default 17 Orchids in One Day

I recently met both P Max and John V in the flesh for the first time - I
think my first meeting of people I met online here first.

On to the headline story. A week ago I popped around a few places and didn't
think I got much done in the end. However counting my orchid species I
realized I had 17 species in flower, 16 from one small reserve. You can view
images of most of them via the link below.

I've attached a photo with a pollinator on a spider orchid. I got a few
shots but none of them turned out that great, especially not the ones where
the wasp was positioned properly.

--
http://photos.rnr.id.au/2007/10/02/

Attached Thumbnails
17 Orchids in One Day-arachnorchis_parva_balukwillam071002-9867.jpg
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Amazing stuff Reiner, love your photo's. I was wondering when or if you
blokes down under
would meet?
Of course the Glossodia major & Thelymitra pauciflora are my faves.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Wendy

Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Wendy. We're all members of ANOS presently and so we met on orchid
field trips.

Does the color have anything to do with your favourites? The T. pauciflora
was the only open flower I saw and its only just open.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Diana - afterwards I was thinking I maybe should have looked down the
road where perhaps another species could have been flowering.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Rain? What rain? In the last 3 and 6 months we've had about 80% average
rainfall, which is probably enough for most of these orchids as they have
evolved to handle relatively dry periods.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yep, it sure did bucket down for a few days and the catchments grew a bit
but mostly drizzle since then.

Old 15-10-2007, 09:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Peter. The fulvas were well developed so I'm not surprised they had
done their thing by the time you got there a week later. Did you see the
caerulea nearby - maybe they had finished by then too.

Old 16-10-2007, 07:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Failed to find any Cyanicula coerulea's also, Reiner.
I'll have to get the bearing from you for next year - later. Saves fumbling
about and wasting time.
Peter

--
)

"P Max" wrote in message
Great photos Reiner! I envy you re the fulva's - all finished by the time

got there.

Rate This Thread: