Old 17-10-2007, 03:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default My 1st S/H grown orchid

My daughter brought this plant home from work & asked me to take care of it.
Well I decided
to repot it & one pseudo broke away from the main plant.
So this was my 1st attempt at Ray's SemiHydro. Incidentally the
original plant has not bloomed yet.
Now I have to find out what to do about the algae?
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
My 1st S/H grown orchid-bids-miltoniadsc01414.jpg
Old 17-10-2007, 10:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy,

The key to algae is prevention. Once it's there, it's almost impossible to
eliminate, without repotting to a clean pot and fresh medium (only the outer
part, the rest will be very well held in place by the roots).

A treatment with Physan (1 tsp/gal) or chlorine bleach (1 oz/gal) every 4-
to 6 weeks ought to do it, and covering is another alternative, although
that makes it hard to judge the watering needs.

Old 17-10-2007, 03:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks tennis, so far it is working well on backends too. Cheers Wendy
"tenman" wrote in message
Wendy7 wrote:
My daughter brought this plant home from work & asked me to take care of
it. Well I decided
to repot it & one pseudo broke away from the main plant.
So this was my 1st attempt at Ray's SemiHydro. Incidentally the
original plant has not bloomed yet.
Now I have to find out what to do about the algae?
Cheers Wendy

Good encouragement for me; I'm about to try it.

Our semi-hydro speaker said he wraps heavy duty aluminum foil around the
pots to control algae.

Old 17-10-2007, 04:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thank ye o' Ray of sunshine.
Will try some Physan. So using clear pots is to keep an eye on things?
I have just drilled some
blue plastic pots I had on hand????
Also if there is existing algae on the plant's roots & you freshly repot
it's going to come back no?
I really should visit your forum. . . . . I wonder if there is a name out
for a phobia of not
wanting to join forums? *G*
Cheers Wendy

Old 18-10-2007, 08:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:16:54 -0700, Wendy7 wrote
(in article ):

My daughter brought this plant home from work & asked me to take care of it.
Well I decided
to repot it & one pseudo broke away from the main plant.
So this was my 1st attempt at Ray's SemiHydro. Incidentally the
original plant has not bloomed yet.
Now I have to find out what to do about the algae?
Cheers Wendy

Congratulations. Live with the algae in peace, but make sure they don't clog
the drain holes!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 19-10-2007, 12:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I wonder if there is a name out for a phobia of not
wanting to join forums? *G*

Dolly, you are in a *forum* right here!

Diana

Cheers Wendy

Old 19-10-2007, 05:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Dr. Tom, as always, you are so encouraging. Cheers Wendy

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:16:54 -0700, Wendy7 wrote
(in article ):

My daughter brought this plant home from work & asked me to take care of
it.
Well I decided
to repot it & one pseudo broke away from the main plant.
So this was my 1st attempt at Ray's SemiHydro. Incidentally the
original plant has not bloomed yet.
Now I have to find out what to do about the algae?
Cheers Wendy

Congratulations. Live with the algae in peace, but make sure they don't
clog
the drain holes!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA