Old 22-10-2007, 01:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Nasty stuff

My Oncidium Twinkle 'Red Fantasy' seemed to be struggling then I noticed the
white
stuff through the clear plastic pot.
To be cont. . . . . . . . .

Attached Thumbnails
Nasty stuff-onc-twinkleredfantasy-1036-01423.jpg
Old 22-10-2007, 03:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy,

Hawaiian root mealy bugs?

Root Mealybugs

Arnold H. Hara,
CTAHR Dept. of Entomology, Hilo

Root mealybugs occur only on roots of their host plants. Because they are
undetected, occurring below-ground, root mealybugs can be a serious pest.
Currently, the Hawaiian Islands have 7 species of root or hypogaeic
mealybugs. The most pestiferous species have been the coffee root mealybug,
Geococcus coffeae, and Rhizoecus hibisci. Plant host range of these root
mealybugs are very wide, infesting grasses, palms, citrus, cyperus,
pineapple, coffee, mango and syngonium.

In pots, root mealybugs occur throughout the root mass; however, they are
concentrated between the root-ball and the pot. Infestations of root
mealybugs are noticeable only if the root-ball is removed from the pot. The
white waxy material is the most important sign of root mealybug infestation.
Mealybugs secrete lots of white waxy material that covers their bodies.
Female mealybugs lay eggs or give birth to live young (crawlers).If eggs are
laid, they usually hatch in less than 24 hours. Crawlers are the dispersal
stage and are highly mobile. Once the crawlers find a suitable site, they
settle down and begin to feed on roots with their sucking mouthparts. The
entire life cycle ranges from 2-4 months depending on the species. Adults
live from 27-57 days, also depending on species.

Prevention

Because the root mealybug is very difficult to control, every effort should
be made to prevent spread and establishment. The following practices are
recommended to prevent spread and establishment:

1.. Inspect roots of newly purchased plants for root mealybugs by removing
the pot.

2.. Avoid root-bound plants by re-potting as needed; root-bound plants
encourage mealybugs.

3.. Use clean pots and media; if infested wash with soap and water.

4.. Treat or remove infested plant hosts from your premises.

5.. Do not allow water from infested areas to drain into clean areas;
crawlers can be transported in water.

Control

Research by the University of Hawaii, CTAHR, has demonstrated that
insecticides and/or a hot water dip are effective treatments. Dursban WP
applied as a liquid drench and Marathon G are effective against root
mealybug. Watering plants prior to drench application will significantly
reduce problems with phytotoxicity. Consult the Cooperative Extension
Service, Hawaii Department of Agriculture or a reputable agrochemical
professional for a specific product registered for use. Submerging potted
Rhapis palms in 120° F (49° C) hot water until the internal root ball
temperature reaches 115° F(46° C) is 100% effective in killing root
mealybugs. Hot water at 120° F does not significantly affect potted
Rhapispalms.

For more information or a detailed report contact Arnold Hara in Hilo at
Ph: (808) 974-4105, Fax: (808) 974-4110 or e-mail:
.

Bob Walsh

Old 22-10-2007, 04:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks ever so much Bob for all this info, much appreciated.
I once took in a sample of this to the Orange County Ag Dept., they came
up with Sapraphoric fungus & told me to repot & keep plants on the dry side.

This makes more sense to me as I have had plants with mealybugs.
Thanks again & will keep Arnold's email for future use.
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Old 22-10-2007, 10:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"Keep the plants on the dry side" is a "Band-aid".

Repot into fresh medium, giving the root system a Physan treatment after
unpotting from the ooze.

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks ever so much Bob for all this info, much appreciated.
I once took in a sample of this to the Orange County Ag Dept., they came
up with Sapraphoric fungus & told me to repot & keep plants on the dry
side.

This makes more sense to me as I have had plants with mealybugs.
Thanks again & will keep Arnold's email for future use.
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Old 22-10-2007, 11:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Adding redwood chips/fibers to bark based mixes goes a long way to stopping
snow mold. If you follow Ray's recommendations and repot with a mix
containing 5 -10 % redwood you should not see the nasty again.

Pat

Old 27-10-2007, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for this Pat, what do I know, I thought all the bark was from redwood
pine trees?
Shall research Ray's site.
Cheers Wendy
g.com...

Old 28-10-2007, 04:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hmmm? Ok, so if I purchase a bag of Orchid bark, how do I know if
there is any redwood bark in it? Do they state this on the bag or does one
have
to buy redwood bark separately?
Pat, I used to soak my bark overnight then sun dry it. There was always
sludgy red/brown
stuff at the bottom which I would throw away? I wonder if it was redwood?
Where do you get good bark these days?
Thanks for your input Pat,

"Wendy7" wrote in message
My Oncidium Twinkle 'Red Fantasy' seemed to be struggling then I
noticed the
white
stuff through the clear plastic pot.
To be cont. . . . . . . . .