Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Mini orchid mystery

Growing on the bark to the left of the Phal appendiculata is a very small
monopodial orchid. Does anybody know what it is. The purple flower on the
Phal appendiculata is about the size of a #2 pencil eraser which should give
you some idea of how small a plant I am talking about. If you have any ID
ideas please speak up.

:-) Thanks.
Al

Attached Thumbnails
Mini orchid mystery-mm1.jpg   Mini orchid mystery-mm2.jpg   Mini orchid mystery-untitled-7.jpg

Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

They are both cute Al, now if someone is good with words then there
must be something that means smaller than small?
Mini-mono-miniscule? *G*
I wonder if it was from seed?
Anyway good show.
Cheers Wendy

Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The flower looks very much like chibae in terms of color and markings.
However, chibae is a larger plant than appendiculata; 6 to 10 inch leaf
span....and the leaves are different. The flower is a little larger too.
And the spikes, (at least on mine) are very long.

This plant is very odd. It has 8 or 10 pair of leaves and has been maturing
for about 6 years. It looks like a tiny pulcherima in terms of growth
habit. It has 4 spikes and will have like 50 flowers and yet the whole
plant in flower is about the size of US quarter. The flower has a sack-like
spur on the back of the lip when viewed from behind, so I don't think it is
in the Phal genus. In fact, I know it is not. I would recognize any
previously described Phal.

When I got the appendiculata, it was freshly imported and resold to me.
This plant was attached to the side and had two tiny leaves (less than 1/4
inch leaf span) and I thought it was a basil keikie on the appendiculata.
So this thing hitched a ride into the county without going officially
through customs.... It is an illegal alien BUT I am sure it can't be new to
science. It has to have been described. I have pulled rare albino forms of
speices out of wholesale boxes and found some very neat mislabeled species
in similar orders but I just can't believe it has never been seen before...

I was hoping that Eric H would see these pictures and recognize it. He has
been very helpful before with ID.

Anybody know Eric Christenson's email address?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

and I thought it was a basil keikie on the appendiculata.

Well, if it had turned out to be a basil keiki, at least your wench would
have been able to use it in the spaghetti sauce........

Diana ;o)

So this thing hitched a ride into the county without going officially
through customs.... It is an illegal alien BUT I am sure it can't be new
to science. It has to have been described. I have pulled rare albino
forms of speices out of wholesale boxes and found some very neat
mislabeled species in similar orders but I just can't believe it has never
been seen before...

I was hoping that Eric H would see these pictures and recognize it. He
has been very helpful before with ID.

Anybody know Eric Christenson's email address?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

basil has different leaves too. So it's not that either. Basal/Basil, got
it. (Unlike the wench/winch debacle I actually do no their are different
spellings at work here. It just slipped past. ;-). My favorite mistake of
this nature was the agar/auger slip, which preceded the wench/winch slip by
months. Although few seem to remember that one it was definitely and augur
of many colorful word slips to follow.)

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
and I thought it was a basil keikie on the appendiculata.

Well, if it had turned out to be a basil keiki, at least your wench would
have been able to use it in the spaghetti sauce........

Diana ;o)

So this thing hitched a ride into the county without going officially
through customs.... It is an illegal alien BUT I am sure it can't be new
to science. It has to have been described. I have pulled rare albino
forms of speices out of wholesale boxes and found some very neat
mislabeled species in similar orders but I just can't believe it has
never been seen before...

I was hoping that Eric H would see these pictures and recognize it. He
has been very helpful before with ID.

Anybody know Eric Christenson's email address?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

It all agars will for the feutre. Glad you no that!

Hugs,
Diana

"Al Pickrel" wrote in message
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

I missed it, could somebody please mail me the pic???

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

"Al Pickrel" wrote in message
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Smaller than small - how about 'mini' ?

Must be too simple to be true!

--
Peter Cliff
Publishing Editor

Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I hadn't realized there were more pics once you scrolled down, (blush).
Sometimes I'm such a dolt. I'll bet Eric Hunt would know this one, he's at
eric at erichunt dot com. Eric Christensen is orchideric at juno dot net (I
think)

K Barrett

"Al Pickrel" wrote in message
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Chibae?

K Barrett

Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Al,

Sorry, I've been lax at checking ABPO.

It's definitely something in the lesser Sarcanthinae - my best guess is a
Cleisostoma species.

I'm forwarding the images to Eric Christenson. Will let you know what he
says.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Mini orchid mystery --solved-- Malleola seidenfadenii

Thank you! He sent me an email directly.
He taxonified it and published in 1998:
Malleola seidenfadenii Christenson (Lindleyana 13(4):232. 1998)

news

Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

I still never saw the pic, anybody care to shoot it over to me???

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

"Al Pickrel" wrote in message
Growing on the bark to the left of the Phal appendiculata is a very
small
monopodial orchid. Does anybody know what it is. The purple flower on
the
Phal appendiculata is about the size of a #2 pencil eraser which should
give
you some idea of how small a plant I am talking about. If you have any
ID
ideas please speak up.

:-) Thanks.
Al