Old 19-11-2007, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Masd tuerckheimii

I think this one is actually Masd. floribunda var. tuerckheimii. I got it
from Rod Venger lo those many years ago (95?? 96??) and it probably
qualifies as my oldest orchid. Watch. Now I'll kill it. Flowers seem to
be amongst and below the foliage rather than above it. I'm not sure if
thats a reflection of my inadequacies as a grower or the plant's nature.

Speaking of my inadequacies, where's danny been? I miss his pictures (so
very much better than mine.) I know Eric Hunt has been busy at work etc.
and I keep up with him via his flikr site.

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Masd tuerckheimii-dsc00078.jpg

Old 19-11-2007, 11:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Kathy

Beautiful flowering even if the flowers are below the leaf line.

Kew's checklist of plant names lists Masd. tuerckheimii as a valid species.
It lists Masdevallia floribunda subsp. tuerckheimii as a synonym.

Danny informs me that he has been busy with contract work and planning his
trip to Australia for the Western Australian Orchid Spectacular in September
next year.

Cheers

John

. ..

Old 20-11-2007, 01:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kathy, why don't you come too?

Danny is coming through Melbourne (staying at my place) so we can spend a
couple of days looking for orchids in and around Melbourne. Plenty of room
here if you decide to also visit. Others are also welcome if you decide to
make the trip. September is peak terrestrial time in Australia.

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks John! I envy danny the trip to the WAOS.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Kathy

Beautiful flowering even if the flowers are below the leaf line.

Kew's checklist of plant names lists Masd. tuerckheimii as a valid
species. It lists Masdevallia floribunda subsp. tuerckheimii as a
synonym.

Danny informs me that he has been busy with contract work and planning
his trip to Australia for the Western Australian Orchid Spectacular in
September next year.

Cheers

John

. ..

Old 20-11-2007, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Kathy,
That`s i little cracker you have there, i have recently decided to collect
Masd`s
Happy Growing
Keith

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[blush] Thanks Peter!

"P Max" wrote in message

Don't kill it, Kathy. Too good for that! Nice effort - deserves a
cultural certificate!
Peter

. ..

Old 21-11-2007, 02:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:34:38 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

I think this one is actually Masd. floribunda var. tuerckheimii. I got it
from Rod Venger lo those many years ago (95?? 96??) and it probably
qualifies as my oldest orchid. Watch. Now I'll kill it. Flowers seem to
be amongst and below the foliage rather than above it. I'm not sure if
thats a reflection of my inadequacies as a grower or the plant's nature.

Speaking of my inadequacies, where's danny been? I miss his pictures (so
very much better than mine.) I know Eric Hunt has been busy at work etc.
and I keep up with him via his flikr site.

K Barrett

A beauty. How the h___ do you grow those things out here. Do you put them in
your refrigerator during the Summer?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 21-11-2007, 06:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I too have fallen for them, which is difficult becasue I live in a hot
dry-ish climate. There are several masd pictures on teh Pacific Central web
page http://www.aospacificcentral.org/ and Eric Hunt's Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/ to whet your whistle. Sorry about
the sad state of affairs on the Pac Central's index page. I can't figure
out a better way to sort it by aplha & year. But you can kinda/sorta scroll
down to the 'M's and read across. There's a neat group of crosses made with
M. ayabacana that I'm getting interested in. I think there's a pic of masd
Cinnamon Twist http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFJ...dcintwist.html
and a recent pic of an unnamed Urubamba cross
http://www.aospacificcentral.org/OSC...sdunnamed.html
K Barrett

"keith kent" wrote in message
Hi Kathy,
That`s i little cracker you have there, i have recently decided to collect
Masd`s
Happy Growing
Keith

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[blush] Thanks Peter!

"P Max" wrote in message

Don't kill it, Kathy. Too good for that! Nice effort - deserves a
cultural certificate!
Peter

. ..

Old 21-11-2007, 07:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I think its an example of proper case selection. I think floribundas will
grow out here. Though Dennis Olivas grows Masd coccinea on his front porch,
a huge concrete stoop which is always slightly cooler than the surrounding
yard, and properly shaded even though its a southern exposure.

I have them under the bench where the misters come on to damp down the GH
floor, and the swamp cooler's airstream bathes the floor with cool air, too
(I split the air stream, half up high, half down to the floor. I'm not sure
why I do that. Just seems to work to erradicate the heat of summer.) They
are in small bark in a clay pot for evaporative cooling, too. The passage
of air through the leaves helps too. By comparison I have a Masd Dean Haas
that barely blooms for me. (Small flowers, about 1/3 to 1/2 the normal
size.)

Old 21-11-2007, 07:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

High temps in summer are a problem for me and being as next summer will be
my first with the Masd`s it will be a challenge to keep to 80f max.But like
you have already said keeping them shaded by other orchids/next to
fans/foggers will help.I could put them outside in a shaded spot with the
Cyms for summer,but i would like to keep to 80f max anyway for all my
orchids.
Keith

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Masd. mejiana danny Orchid Photos 1 21-11-2006 05:01 AM
Masd Angel Tang V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-11-2006 12:49 AM
Masd. exquisita trouble Jack Orchids 10 16-06-2006 07:49 AM
Masd. caesia--How Stinky? jadel Orchids 2 15-03-2006 02:08 PM
Masd. "Snow Cone" scent jadel Orchids 3 19-10-2005 03:34 AM