GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Den. rigidum - The Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/167533-den-rigidum-plant.html)

wendy7 27-11-2007 04:07 AM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

1 Attachment(s)
Dendrobium rigidum, hangs around the greenhouse & does it's thing.
Strangely, the flowers are all on the one side of the plant which was facing
NNW ?
It is in a 4inch basket.
Cheers Wendy

John Varigos 27-11-2007 04:48 AM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

Very impressive Wendy. My plant died last year and now that I see your
photos it reminds me that I must get another one.

Cheers

John

Dave Gillingham 29-11-2007 09:12 AM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

Would that have anything to do with minimum light?

As an associated interesting observation, one of our members grows his smaller
Dockrillias & Dendrobes of a similar growth habit (eg toressae, prenticei) on
mounts which are hung from swivels - the cheap fishing line type. The mount
rotates with air movement (or owner movement) & the plant grows completely round
the mount. Makes a lovely display when in bloom, & has taken out some
cultivation prizes at our benchings.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:07:41 -0800, "Wendy7" wrote:

Dendrobium rigidum, hangs around the greenhouse & does it's thing.
Strangely, the flowers are all on the one side of the plant which was facing
NNW ?
It is in a 4inch basket.
Cheers Wendy

Dave Gillingham

SuE 29-11-2007 05:18 PM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:07:41 -0800, "Wendy7" wrote:

Dendrobium rigidum, hangs around the greenhouse & does it's thing.
Strangely, the flowers are all on the one side of the plant which was facing
NNW ?
It is in a 4inch basket.
Cheers Wendy

You really have the touch. Marvelous.
SuE

wendy7 29-11-2007 09:42 PM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

Thanks Dave, Will try using a swivel & I happen to have some that I use for
my Tillandsias.
Cheers Wendy

John Varigos 29-11-2007 10:07 PM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

If you use a swivel, does this cause the plant to use more energy realigning
itself to the available light source every time it turns (phototropism)?
Does this lead to a really mixed up plant?

Just curious.

Cheers

John

Diana Kulaga[_3_] 30-11-2007 12:59 AM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

And the plant cried, as its head spun around, "Stop the whirl, I want to get
off!!"

Diana (punning for cover)

Dave Gillingham 30-11-2007 09:41 AM

Den. rigidum - The Plant

People who pun should be punished.

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:59:12 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

And the plant cried, as its head spun around, "Stop the whirl, I want to get
off!!"

Diana (punning for cover)

. com...