Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Dendrobium Blue Sparkle

I bought this at a show a couple of years ago. The tag indicated its clone name
was 'Oka'. In fact - and now I'm going to air my complete ignorance of awards -
what the original tag has on it is:
Dendrobium Blue Sparkle 'Oka' AM/AOS

Its genealogy is:
D. gouldii 50%
D. nindii 37.5%
D. lineale 6.25%
D. schroderianum 6.25%

D. nindii is a beautiful Spatulata Dendrobe from NE Australia & New Guinea -
reputedly very difficult to grow in cultivation.

For those who have Orchid Wiz - I'm certain there is an error in the entry for
Blue Sparkle. The genealogy page has photos for gouldii, lineale &
schroderianum. The photos shown for schroderianum are of D. densiflorum, with
an indication that schroderianum is a synonym for densiflorum.

I have problems with this:

1. I don't believe schroderianum *is* a synonym for densiflorum. Baker & Baker
indicate that it's D. schroderi that has been a synonym for D. densiflorum.

2. However, D. schroderianum is a historical synonym for D. striaenopsis, an
orchid from Section Phalaenanthe of the Dendrobes, which is very similar to D.
bigibbum, D. phalaenopsis, or whatever other taxonomic label is currently
popular. In fact, D. phalaenopsis has at times been regarded as synonymous with
both D. striaenopsis and D. bigibbum. And D. striaenopsis comes from the West
New Guinea/Indonesian region, a similar habitat to the other 3 components of
Blue Sparkle.

3. D. densiflorum belongs to Section Callista of the Dendrobes. There does not
seem to be any densiflorum - or indeed any Section Callista - contribution to
Blue Sparkle.

4. Finally, It is very common to find a small proportion of Section Phalaenthe
species in a predominantly Section Spatulata hybrid - eg striaenopsis in this
case.

So I'm sure the D. schroderianum in the genealogy it what today is known as D.
striaenopsis, *not* D. densiflorum.

Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium Blue Sparkle-den-bluspk-01a.jpg   Dendrobium Blue Sparkle-den-bluspk-01b.jpg
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

This one takes the cake or steals the show Dave,
Speaking of shows, if one should take this one in how do the judges judge
for shape?
The antelope type flowers are all different.
Cheers Wendy

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I love it too, Wendy. Given the awards it has won I'd love to be able to grow
it to its full potential.

Judging shape? I try not to get too deeply involved with judging criteria -
knowing their bad points tends to spoil my enjoyment of my orchids. However:

Judging by "general" judges - I don't really know.

Judging by A(ustralasian) N(ative) O(rchid) S(ociety) judges: To judge for ANOS
I believe they are expected to have a good knowledge of the contributions
expected by the component species, & hence the kind of thing to expect in terms
of shape etc from a hybrid. eg longer, more erect antlers would be typical of
antennatum, & therefore expected in order to be judged highly. I guess after
that it's a case of how well this apple resembles a very good apple, when
compared with the quality of that orange.

Any ANOS judges lurking who can make a more useful contribution than this?

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:08:34 -0800, "Wendy7" wrote:

This one takes the cake or steals the show Dave,
Speaking of shows, if one should take this one in how do the judges judge
for shape?
The antelope type flowers are all different.
Cheers Wendy

.. .

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks, Tennis.

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:49:31 -0500, tenman wrote:

Dave Gillingham wrote:
I bought this at a show a couple of years ago. The tag indicated its clone name
was 'Oka'. In fact - and now I'm going to air my complete ignorance of awards -
what the original tag has on it is:
Dendrobium Blue Sparkle 'Oka' AM/AOS

The blueness and floriferousness sure puts on a pretty display!

Dave Gillingham
Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Good answers Dave, I forgot about their antenna's length & then I can't
believe they
have to do a flower count no?
Good growing,
[...]

. ..

Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:34:08 -0800, "Wendy7" wrote:

Good answers Dave, I forgot about their antenna's length & then I can't
believe they
have to do a flower count no?

Yup! They call it floriferousness! And then, do the blooms stand up & look at
you? More ticks. And are they nicely spaced? More ticks. Lots of racemes?
More ticks. My lasianthera 'Sepik Blue' x tangerinum that I posted earlier
doesn't do too well despite its lovely colour - the blooms are a crowded mess, &
some are even upside down. But I don't care. I love the plant.

Rate This Thread: