GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed Pod dehiscence (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/173390-seed-pod-dehiscence.html)

K Barrett 22-04-2008 03:52 PM

Seed Pod dehiscence

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the seed/chaff from the seed pod that exploded in the GH
on Sunday. Dead? No good? Take a chance and send them to (someone) who'll
flask them up???

K Barrett

tenman 22-04-2008 05:30 PM

Seed Pod dehiscence

K Barrett wrote:
Here's a picture of the seed/chaff from the seed pod that exploded in the GH
on Sunday. Dead? No good? Take a chance and send them to (someone) who'll
flask them up???

K Barrett

Well, you probably have a ggod bit of seed still left there. I did a
stanhopea in the same condition and got too many seeldings to replate
tham all. If it's an important cross (probably is or you wouldn't have
made it) send it out and see what they get.

K Barrett 22-04-2008 09:08 PM

Seed Pod dehiscence

Thanks Tennis! Ray says the same thing. This stuff looks like nothing but
dust to me. So heck, nothing ventured nothig gained...

"tenman" wrote in message
news:pv2dnVtK0Nw_j5PVnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

K Barrett 23-04-2008 04:32 AM

Seed Pod dehiscence

Turns out most of the stuff in the envelope is seed. I thought it was
chaff. Shows what I know... But we'll see what actually happens. I'm fully
expecting failure. A friend is taking it with a couple of his own pods to
be flasked up this weekend. I guess the seed stays viable for a couple of
weeks. This is new territory for me. I never considered hybridizing
before. I dabbled a bit last year, not understanding anything that I was
doing (like being unable to recognize seed when I see it). This is C.
dormaniana x B. cucullata. Weird or what? I think I have a Hawkinsara
Keepsake x B nodosa as well as a C harrisoniae 'Streeter's Choice' x B
cucullata around here, too.