GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trichopilia Evaline (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/174279-trichopilia-evaline.html)

tenman 13-05-2008 06:50 AM

Trichopilia Evaline

1 Attachment(s)
Now blooming in the GH, this is a hybrid of T.tortilis and T.marginata,
examples of which species are shown below it. A good example of a hybrid
inheriting the best of both parents, it has the form of the tortilis
greatly enhanced by the coloration of the marginata. A relatively small
plant, it has large flowers for its size and is a carefree grower.

Ray B 13-05-2008 10:37 AM

Trichopilia Evaline

Very nice, Tennis.

In trichopilias, what constitutes "relatively small"?

news:Y5WdnSGLDdGlsbTVnZ2dnUVZ_rLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

tenman 13-05-2008 02:31 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

Ray B wrote:
Very nice, Tennis.

In trichopilias, what constitutes "relatively small"?

Two answers:

First, I think most trichopilias are 'relatively small'. This one tops
out at ten inches, with a flower almost 5 inches. The couple of largest
trichos can get to 15-16 inches, occasionally but rarely a bit taller.

Second, within trichopilia, 'relatively small' is a much smaller playing
field than orchids at large (compared to, say, 1.my Sharry Baby now in
spike, plant over 2 feet tall, spike at 40"and still growing, or
2.Lc.Schilleriana now in flower, a 21" tall plant with flowers about the
same size as Evaline, or 3.Lc.ChitChat 'Tangerine, now in flower at 22"
tall, or 4.my phals which at first seem to be small plants but now have
tall flower spikes up to 38" in height/length). Maculata is seldom over
4" high, and the tortilis pictured with the Evaline barely hits 5" in
height, with a flower about the same size.

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 13-05-2008 09:18 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

Great flower, Tennis. And I found your answer to Ray to be interesting.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
news:NuSdnaINK_DdBbTVnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

tbell 14-05-2008 07:26 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:50:49 -0700, tenman wrote
(in article ):

Now blooming in the GH, this is a hybrid of T.tortilis and T.marginata,
examples of which species are shown below it. A good example of a hybrid
inheriting the best of both parents, it has the form of the tortilis
greatly enhanced by the coloration of the marginata. A relatively small
plant, it has large flowers for its size and is a carefree grower.

Wow! I want one.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

K Barrett 14-05-2008 08:53 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:50:49 -0700, tenman wrote
(in article ):

Now blooming in the GH, this is a hybrid of T.tortilis and T.marginata,
examples of which species are shown below it. A good example of a hybrid
inheriting the best of both parents, it has the form of the tortilis
greatly enhanced by the coloration of the marginata. A relatively small
plant, it has large flowers for its size and is a carefree grower.

Wow! I want one.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Yeah, I checked Andy's Orchids and they only have one species, and nothing
as nice as Tennis's. maybe we can prevail on Diana to search Homestead for
us, LOL!

K Barrett

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 15-05-2008 12:42 AM

Trichopilia Evaline

Andy doesn't list everything on the site. One year I asked them for a couple
of plants that they said they didn't have, but when I got to Redland there
they were.

I'm making a note of it fer ya.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.com...

K Barrett 15-05-2008 03:29 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

I googled them and turns out the Santa Barbarians have 4-5 on their site so
I'm good, Diana. Therefore shop for yourself, Diana, I release you from
looking for me.

K Barrett
(I will need pictures of the event, tho....)

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Andy doesn't list everything on the site. One year I asked them for a
couple of plants that they said they didn't have, but when I got to
Redland there they were.

I'm making a note of it fer ya.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.com...

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 16-05-2008 10:55 PM

Trichopilia Evaline

We're back, happily exhausted. Pix tomorrow. List over at rgo in a few
minutes.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I googled them and turns out the Santa Barbarians have 4-5 on their site so
I'm good, Diana. Therefore shop for yourself, Diana, I release you from
looking for me.

K Barrett
(I will need pictures of the event, tho....)

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Andy doesn't list everything on the site. One year I asked them for a
couple of plants that they said they didn't have, but when I got to
Redland there they were.

I'm making a note of it fer ya.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message