GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cym Fifi (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/174868-cym-fifi.html)

wendy7 21-05-2008 03:34 AM

Cym Fifi

1 Attachment(s)
Cymbidium Fifi 'Harry' a lovely pendulous one.
Cheers Wendy

Dave Gillingham 21-05-2008 12:26 PM

Cym Fifi

Thought there was something familiar in its appearance: 50% madidum.

On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:34:16 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

Cymbidium Fifi 'Harry' a lovely pendulous one.
Cheers Wendy

Dave Gillingham

wendy7 22-05-2008 02:01 AM

Cym Fifi

1 Attachment(s)
Oh really I have that in bloom also. It has a much smaller flower so my Harry takes after the mom no? *G*
Cheers Wendy

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 22-05-2008 07:28 PM

Cym Fifi

I had a madidum hybrid at one time (sob). The flower definitely looked like
madidum, rounded and bouncy. Never know what you'll get, eh?

Diana

K Barrett 31-05-2008 04:48 AM

Cym Fifi

Oakland just gave an HCC to a Fifi hybrid...iirc its Cym. England Rose
(crossed with Western Movie. How's *that* for a moniker?)
http://www.aospacificcentral.org sorry you'll have to follow the links to
Oakland and May 19, 2008.

K Barrett

wendy7 31-05-2008 06:15 AM

Cym Fifi

1 Attachment(s)
I could handle that!
I was just going to post this one of Cym Fifi 'Harry' along with Cym
madidum.
Dave down under made a comment about madidum being in the cross.
I have since looked at pics of Cym. madidum & they are not like mine. Dang!
Cheers Wendy (who gets more mind boggled every day)

K Barrett 31-05-2008 04:11 PM

Cym Fifi

'Harry' is the only awarded clone of Fifi. I guess it got an Award of
Quality back in 1964. Usually AQs are given for new ideas in breeding.
Mostly I recognize a madidum cross for having long pendant inflorescences
with a lot of space between the blooms. I'll ask around to see if Fifi was
awarded for this trait. Or for having clear colors. Kinda funny that
England Rose put the spots back onto the lip.

wendy7 31-05-2008 09:46 PM

Cym Fifi

What I was trying to say in a roundabout way Kathy, is that my madidum may
not be the species madidum as it doesn't look
like the flower in J Pfahl's orchidpedia.
Cheers Wendy
. ..