Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Bulbo.lobbii

Got this as a small seedling a couple years ago; it has two more
single-flowered spikes coming. I have always liked lobbii and this one
is no exception. Large flowers on smallish plants, more of a sweet smell
than other bulbos, but still with a hint of foulness in the background.
I have been trying to add one of those pinkish ones I see pics of to my
collection but never seem to be able to find one.

I keep the bulbos up high in the GH for more light and greater warmth in
the winter. Fortunately I can get a good look at them anytime by looking
out the dining room window which overlooks the bulbo shelf attached to
the outside wall just below the sill. Or of course I can get up on the
inverted bucket I use as a step in the GH to get me up to the hanging
plants and the upper shelves - bulbos on one side of the door, oncids
and catasetinae on the other.

I have just repotted all 70 or so bulbos in a mix of smallish chc and
spongeroc. I felt they were staying much too wet too long in their
promix-based mix, now that they'r ein a GH with more humidity than I had
in the grow-rooms. I'm hoping the new mix will still keep them moist but
allow for better drainage and more air. I'm also trying a few seedlings
in semi-hydro. Most bulbos aren't good candidates for it as they can be
very rangy plants, but things like lobbii and echinolabium and such stay
relatively compact and are better candidates.

Attached Thumbnails
Bulbo.lobbii-lobbii0608.jpg
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Great picture, Tennis, and thanks for the info.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
news:6OCdnYVCrvv_ZNTVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
[...]

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Bulb lobbii 'Orchidheights' X lobbii 'Kathy's Gold' v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 19-06-2008 11:15 PM
Bulb lobbii 'Kathy's Gold' K Barrett Orchid Photos 0 01-06-2008 05:18 PM
Borneo: Habenaria lobbii - striking green terrestrial Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2007 05:36 PM
Unknown Bulbo... Fran Kirby Orchids 1 18-08-2003 06:22 PM
Phal. parishii vs parishii lobbii rajiv Orchids 4 20-04-2003 07:56 PM