Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default C. gaskelliana hybrid

Too much to put in the subject line.

C. gaskelliana 'Blue Dragon' x Lc. (L. purpurata x Lc. Egerland).
Interestingly, the purpurata/Egerland cross is not listed in OrchidWiz, nor
can I find it on the RHS site. (I confess that I don't have the best luck
with RHS, however.) But there are plenty of references tp it on line,
including one from the 2004 AOS awards at Redland:
http://www.aosflcarib.org/redland_in...festival_.html . Scroll down
for it if you have the inclination.

Diana

Attached Thumbnails
C. gaskelliana hybrid-c-gaskeliana-x-lc-l-purpurata-x-lc-egerland.jpg

Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Right. So, a hypothetical. Suppose I get a provisional award on this plant.
How do I prove that the cross is valid so I can register it? BTW, Redland
Orchids is no more, AFAIK. They went out after the second storm that same
year.

I realize that this is a discussion we've had before. But new wrinkles pop
up all the time.

Diana

. ..

Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:20:52 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article ):

Too much to put in the subject line.

C. gaskelliana 'Blue Dragon' x Lc. (L. purpurata x Lc. Egerland).
Interestingly, the purpurata/Egerland cross is not listed in OrchidWiz, nor
can I find it on the RHS site. (I confess that I don't have the best luck
with RHS, however.) But there are plenty of references tp it on line,
including one from the 2004 AOS awards at Redland:
http://www.aosflcarib.org/redland_in...festival_.html . Scroll down
for it if you have the inclination.

Diana

Ooohh, how cool...literally and figuratively!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

OK you get a provisional award on this plant. You have to make a somewhat
decent attempt to find out who made the cross in the first place. Since the
person who sold you the plant is now out of business (let's say - for this
hypothetical) you have no way of knowing who did either the L. purpurata x
Lc. Egerland or the subsequent cross of that hybrid onto C. gaskelliana.

Now you are in the position of registering 2 crosses:
1) L. purpurata x Lc. Egerland
2) that one crossed to gaskelliana.

The form to register a hybrid has a slot for 'Originator Unknown' so you'd
check that box for both crosses.

You could name the first Lc. Frank and the second Lc. Diana. It'd cost you
$25. ($12.5 per) Actually, you don't have to wait for the award. You can
just do it. AFAI can tell there's no clonal name associated with your
plant, I don't *think* its a meristem, so you can give it a neat-o name like
'rgo's k' once its awarded.

Sure, the originator can get ticked that you named the plant before s/he
did, but they could have done that at any point in time, especially as it
had been provisionally awarded 4 years ago. IMHO to make a halfway decent
attempt to locate the originator would be to ask Alan at Gold Country if he
knew. Maybe ask RF. Maybe Art Chadwick. All these folks are available
online and if they didn't know who made an old cross like this then you've
at least tried 3 credible breeders for their opinions.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Right. So, a hypothetical. Suppose I get a provisional award on this
plant. How do I prove that the cross is valid so I can register it? BTW,
Redland Orchids is no more, AFAIK. They went out after the second storm
that same year.

I realize that this is a discussion we've had before. But new wrinkles pop
up all the time.

Diana

. ..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Very cool information. I'm saving it, and I may very well act on it. This
flower blows me away, and each time it blooms it gets bigger and flatter and
better.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I looked up the gaskelliana. It was awarded a CBM Which I think is a
certificate of botanical merit (??) which has probably been replaced by the
CHM: certificate of horticultural merit. Anyway that was way back in 1962.
The owner of the plant was a Charles P. Slocum from Homestead. Description
says: Sepals and petals bluish white, lip hyacynth blue. Natural spread of
flower 6 1/4 ". In those days they measured in inches. That'd about 15.9
cm today. This info isn't in any of the awards programs. Its in the old
Register of Awards. The Lc. Egerland hybrid was registered in Germany in
1932 by Wolter. One AOS award, from N Carolina.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
Just for my own information, where's the nearest judging center to you?
Miami?

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Very cool information. I'm saving it, and I may very well act on it. This
flower blows me away, and each time it blooms it gets bigger and flatter
and better.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

They judge at Delray Beach, at AOS HQ. It's still called the West Palm Beach
Center, though. It's about an hour from here, maybe less. I haven't been
there for judging, though I was at the old WPB center a time or two. That
center was primitive at best. It was an old post & beam structure, no AC or
anything like that.

We have cool judges, for the most part. Nice people. One, Carol Holdren,
came to our last meeting and did a presentation on the judging process, just
an overview. We have loads of new members, and most of them don't have any
idea what it takes to become a judge. To give you an idea, I had 27 people
in my newbie class in April. This past Tuesday we had a *pot-in* and I had
20. Luckily I had asked a friend to come help monitor, because there was no
way I was going to be able to oversee 20 people with limited experience do a
hands-on exercise in 45 minutes.

Not that I occasionally bite off more than I can chew or anything dumb like
that.

Diana
"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
Just for my own information, where's the nearest judging center to you?
Miami?

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Very cool information. I'm saving it, and I may very well act on it. This
flower blows me away, and each time it blooms it gets bigger and flatter
and better.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I saw a reference to the CBM somewhere. OrchidWiz, maybe. Went and measured
the flower. If I measured correctly (didn't flatten the flower, just went
tip to tip), it's just over 6".

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I looked up the gaskelliana. It was awarded a CBM Which I think is a
certificate of botanical merit (??) which has probably been replaced by
the CHM: certificate of horticultural merit. Anyway that was way back in
1962. The owner of the plant was a Charles P. Slocum from Homestead.
Description says: Sepals and petals bluish white, lip hyacynth blue.
Natural spread of flower 6 1/4 ". In those days they measured in inches.
That'd about 15.9 cm today. This info isn't in any of the awards
programs. Its in the old Register of Awards. The Lc. Egerland hybrid was
registered in Germany in 1932 by Wolter. One AOS award, from N Carolina.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
Just for my own information, where's the nearest judging center to you?
Miami?

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Very cool information. I'm saving it, and I may very well act on it.
This flower blows me away, and each time it blooms it gets bigger and
flatter and better.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Then the exhibitor should have gotten it regitsered, but look like
they didn't. The award was given in 2004, so its probably been
voided.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Too much to put in the subject line.

C. gaskelliana 'Blue Dragon' x Lc. (L. purpurata x Lc. Egerland).
Interestingly, the purpurata/Egerland cross is not listed in
OrchidWiz, nor can I find it on the RHS site. (I confess that I
don't have the best luck with RHS, however.) But there are plenty of
references tp it on line, including one from the 2004 AOS awards at
Redland:
http://www.aosflcarib.org/redland_in...festival_.html .
Scroll down for it if you have the inclination.

Diana

Rate This Thread: