Old 13-06-2008, 10:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Den Green Lantern x2

These attractive dendrobium flowers last a very long time. I can't seem to
get more than one or 2 flowers/ stem. It also seems not to bloom unless the
stem is hanging much as some vandas do.
Gary

Attached Thumbnails
Den Green Lantern  x2-den-green-lantern2.jpg   Den Green Lantern  x2-den-green-lantern3.jpg
Old 15-06-2008, 02:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

We have this in bloom also. It is quite rangy. The pseudobulbs tend to fall
over, for sure. I wonder if it would be happier mounted in a basket, or on a
piece of hardwood. Love the flower, and it just stays in bloom forever.

Diana

Old 16-06-2008, 01:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Mine has just quit after about 4 months of blooming. I noticed the it only
blooms on the hanging canes. Maybe that just indicates age (we all do that a
bit with age). I have it potted in peanuts and sphagnum and hanging. I think
a lot of orchids prefer to be in the breeze and it makes a lot more bench
space. I just poke holes in regular pots and use 3-wire hangers. The hangers
provide a means of support too if you need it. I use the smallest guage hole
punch from Staples (1/8" I think). I don't think any reinforcement is needed
as the orchid is usually holding on for itself before any plastic holes give
out. I've never had that happen anyway. So, I agree that hanging somehow is
the best for this plant.
Gary

news

Old 16-06-2008, 05:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've heard there's a fellow in Alabama who grows the majority of his catts
hanging from the GH ceiling, in the breeze. The person who visited him said
they were the best grown catts he'd ever seen. I've seen pics of ghs in
Brazil where the catts (or purpuratas) are all in clay pots and hang
approximately at head level. No benches. I wanted to try to mimic that in
my gh addition, but..well, with this dang addiction I just couldn't see
empty space and not put orchids in it....

K Barrett

Old 16-06-2008, 08:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

We hang tons of orchids. Over every bench is hanging space. Can't say that I
find much difference in blooming, though.

Diana

. ..

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
These attractive dendrobium flowers last a very long time. I can't seem
to get more than one or 2 flowers/ stem. It also seems not to bloom
unless the stem is hanging much as some vandas do.
Gary

Rate This Thread: