Old 13-06-2008, 09:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Gga quinquinervis alba x2

These are 3" flowers on 1 1/2' long stems and quite fragrant.
Gary

Attached Thumbnails
Gga quinquinervis alba  x2-gga-quinquinervis-alba3.jpg   Gga quinquinervis alba  x2-gga-quinquinervis-alba5.jpg
Old 14-06-2008, 02:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

?? I thought there shouldn't be any red/brown (anthocyanins) color in an
alba...

K Barrett

Old 14-06-2008, 09:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Right you are, Kathy. I purchased this from Carter & Holmes as Gga
quinquinervis alba x self. As far as I know, there's no way an alba x self
can revert to the colored form. I wrote to C&H and haven't heard back yet.
I'll let you know if there's a reasonable answer. Unless anyone else knows
anything about alba Gongoras not being real albas or having complex genes as
in white Catts?
Gary

. ..

Old 15-06-2008, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

All I know is many times a vendor will get what's purported to be an alba.
Their plant has white flowers but the only way to be sure if its a true alba
is to self it and see if all the progeny are white too. Of course many
times ~3/4 of them are colored and ~1/4 are true albas. Maybe less,
actually, because in orchids color is controlled by 2 genes, they both have
to be switched 'off' in order for true albinism to occur. The color
reversion comes from a white flower having just a hint of color elsewhere in
the flower - like in the throat, a tinge on the back of the sepal or
someplace else. When crossed to itself the genes all pair up and yeild
colored flowers. Only the lucky few are all switched off and therefore
albas.

Koopowitz talks about this in his book on paphs, about how they
(Paphfanatics) used to do alot of this sort of cross testing in order to
find/create the one true alba. I guess they had bench space...

K Barrett

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
Right you are, Kathy. I purchased this from Carter & Holmes as Gga
quinquinervis alba x self. As far as I know, there's no way an alba x self
can revert to the colored form. I wrote to C&H and haven't heard back yet.
I'll let you know if there's a reasonable answer. Unless anyone else knows
anything about alba Gongoras not being real albas or having complex genes
as in white Catts?
Gary

. ..

Old 15-06-2008, 12:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I checked everywhere I could think of and the pictures of quinquenervis had
no where near as much white as mine does. So maybe it's only half alba.
Anyway, I'll let you know what Gene Crocker or Mac Holmes have to say about
it. They're usually very good about answering questions even though Gene has
a schedule that would make your head spin. And he still manages to get all
the crosses done that he does each year.
Gary

. ..

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
Right you are, Kathy. I purchased this from Carter & Holmes as Gga
quinquinervis alba x self. As far as I know, there's no way an alba x
self can revert to the colored form. I wrote to C&H and haven't heard
back yet. I'll let you know if there's a reasonable answer. Unless anyone
else knows anything about alba Gongoras not being real albas or having
complex genes as in white Catts?
Gary

. ..

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
These are 3" flowers on 1 1/2' long stems and quite fragrant.
Gary

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Gga aromatica V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 07-12-2006 11:50 PM
C walkeriana v semi alba 'Kenny' K Barrett Orchids 19 01-04-2004 06:52 PM
Laelia lobata alba GrlIntrpted Orchids 7 18-08-2003 11:12 PM
Купим горчицу белую/желтую (Sinapis alba) за гривну. Vadim Kovalyov sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Купим горчицу белую/желтую (Sinapis alba) за гривну. Vadim Kovalyov sci.agriculture 0 15-04-2003 01:44 PM