Old 20-06-2008, 06:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default It's official (Verizon) - Anyone care if I post pictures at RGO?

You might ask the owner/operator of the Annexcafe server to create a group
for you. He welcomes polite, grateful groups and I'm sure this group would
qualify. You have to sign up (free) to access the server, that keeps
spammers out, I post to several groups there and it is a well run place.
Check it out at www.annexcafe.com If you want to request a group I'll be
happy to put in a good word for you having lurked here for quite some time.

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...2Eorchids.html

Old 21-06-2008, 02:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Joan,

Thankyou for you offer, but I already own several servers so can host the
data "in house"

Kye.

Old 21-06-2008, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Oh, no! We would miss you terribly. *We are family!*

Diana

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:57:33 GMT in haL6k.44069$lE3.347@trnddc05 Ray B
wrote:
My guess is that Verizon, my ISP, blocked me from posting it on their
servers, so there is nothing to be copied to yours.

Most NNTP admins run cleanfeed, or whatever it mutated to in the past 10
years. Unless it's a newsgroup for binaries it would have been blocked
anyways. And with one easy settings change it will cheerfully make all
binaries go away, the mess when some of the more braindead clients
encode a 100% text article as base64.

Atleast you still get newsgroups, my colo box is on a TWC business
class network, and I suspect news will disappear for me as well.

I'll probably completely disappear from USENET on or after the 23rd
until my dad complains enough to get me to set him up with one of the
commercial 3rd party providers. I'll go into horrible withdrawl, but
after 18 years on USENET and 22 years on computer message boards and 24
years with email it's time to get away from this crap for a while.

When I do return to USENET, I'll probably offer a read only NNTP server
for this group and RGO.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

Old 23-06-2008, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray juat has been in areas served by Iowatelecom where the phone lines
dangle from fence posts or lay on the ground next to the road because they
prefer proffits to maintanence. Dial up is the only service that works
occasonaly in the area.
Old 23-06-2008, 04:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in

Dear Verizon Online Customer,

As a Verizon Newsgroup service user, we wanted to let you know about
some important changes that we will soon be making to our Newsgroup
service.

On June 24, 2008, we will be modifying our Newsgroup offerings to only
offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
below. The 0.verizon.* newsgroup hierarchy will also continue to be
available. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
newsgroups using our Newsgroup service.

comp.*
humanities.*
misc.*
news.*
rec.*
sci.*
soc.*
talk.*

More details regarding the Big 8 newsgroup hierarchies is available
at: http://www.big-8.org/.

This change will not affect your Internet access service. If you
would like to subscribe to newsgroups other than those we offer, you
will need to subscribe to a separate commercial news service. Please
note that your use of any such service is still subject to our Terms
of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.

There are no changes required to your software, but you will need to
unsubscribe from all Newsgroups other than the Big 8 hierarchies and
the 0.verizon.* hierarchy noted above. The following link explains
how to subscribe and unsubscribe in Outlook Express:

The big companies AT&T, Verison abd others cant sell you their crap on
newgroups so they want make them imposible to use so they have an excuse
to get rid of them.
You might want to try;
http://www.teranews.com/

I think theres a small set up fee but it's free unless you have a high
usage.

Old 25-06-2008, 07:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:59:33 -0700, tbell said...

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:33:38 -0700, Ray B wrote
(in article S4W5k.6520$Mu.6482@trndny07):

I pay for Giganews, but appreciate the squeeze that others are in.

I think the suggestion of starting a new photo group within one of the
"Big 8" titles is reasonable if its possible. Where do you find out about the
limits on a binary group?

The idea of posting to a website, and posting the URL to RGO is a
possibility, but I suspect a lot of folks would be unwilling/unable to
establish their own websites, and that would make commentary pretty
cumbersome.

So let's have some more information and ideas from you young squirts who know
computing inside and out.

Tom

I think Roadrunner & Verizon killed their Usenet service because it cost them a
lot to operate & they couldn't find a way to make money out of it. If binary
posts start finding their way to Big-8 groups they'll inevitably start to filter
them if they haven't done so already.

I gave up on Roadrunner servers a year ago, and switched to a paid Usenet
provider (Newsguy). Tried Giganews, and they were good, but frankly other
providers offer comparable service and are less expensive.

I get 50 Gig through Newsguy for $8 month, and the closet account at Giganews
was 25 Gigs for $13 month. Newsguy also has a 10 Gig / $3 month option, compared
to 2 Gig / $8 month at Giganews. I also liked the fact that Newsguy rolls over
my unused Gigs each month, and Giganews deletes unused Gigs last I had checked.

For what it's worth, Newsguy is offering a free month of newsgroup access to
Roadrunner & Verizon customers if you buy one of their paid accounts...

http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm

- F

Rate This Thread: