Old 26-07-2008, 05:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default More trouble?

I just came to see what was new on ABPO and a message popped up that
said "this newsgroup does not seem to exist on the motzarella server,
would you like to unsubscribe?"
Rather than click OK, I clicked cancel. I was then able read my unread
posts. It seems that I will also be able to post here, in spite of the
warning. The fact that you are reading this proves I was able to post.
I've never seen that warning before and I wonder if motzarella is
getting ready to dump this group?

Steve

Old 26-07-2008, 04:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:49:39 -0400 in Steve wrote:
I just came to see what was new on ABPO and a message popped up that
said "this newsgroup does not seem to exist on the motzarella server,
would you like to unsubscribe?"
Rather than click OK, I clicked cancel. I was then able read my unread
posts. It seems that I will also be able to post here, in spite of the
warning. The fact that you are reading this proves I was able to post.
I've never seen that warning before and I wonder if motzarella is
getting ready to dump this group?

See my post on rgo.

For glub's sake if you have a problem, take it to one of the
motzarella.* newsgroups or directly to Ray Banana. Don't discuss
it here unless you get a response from Ray saying "Sorry, we have to
yank it."

Because motzarella.org is a set of news servers run more as a
hobby by Ray you're going to see some glitches that you wouldn't
have seen once the mom and pop ISPs were gone.
Odds are this is the first time you've used a news server that requires
authentication to access most newsgroups. A side effect of this
configuration is that it brings out the bugs in some news readers.

You wouldn't expect a newbie to orchids to immediately know about
repotting, watering, and nutrition. You would expect a newbie to
be willing to learn when they reach the point where they want
their plants to survive. USENET in the post-ISP era is the same way.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 27-07-2008, 11:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chris, I didn't know most of this. All is back to normal again,
of course. I have been out of town since noon yesterday so I'm glad to
find Motzarella working again now that I'm home.
I posted the message on ABPO more as a test. When it went out but didn't
appear (for me at least) on ABPO, that's when I posted a similar message
on RGO. When I couldn't see that one, on RGO, either, I then started to
suspect that the problem might be only temporary.
By the way, I discussed it here and on RGO (if one post can be
considered a discussion) because with ISPs pulling the binary groups and
all the discussion about that, I got a little paranoid and thought
Motzarella had bailed out too.

Steve

Rate This Thread: