Old 21-08-2008, 05:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Cym ensifolium

A species from China. The clonal name is 'Quan Yin Sue Sing'

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Cym ensifolium-cym-ensifolium-quan-yin-sue-sing.jpg
Old 21-08-2008, 11:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice. I have the same plant, but it's labeled as Kuan Yin Susin

. ..

Old 21-08-2008, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hmmm. I wonder which is right? I got this from my friend Barbara (when she
passed away). Barbara was Chinese and spoke Mandarin (and another dialect)
but that doesn't mean the name was right or it made any sense to her. It
could have been corrupted when she got it. We'd have to ask around. Maybe
I'll put a link on the OGD and see if anyone from Asia has an answer. All I
know is these Chinese Cyms are known by their clonal names which - from what
I gather - are descriptions or poetic phrases. The names could translate to
Heavenly Valley or some such. Kinda sorta like the Brazilians and their
varietal names for L purpurata, but with more romance, *G*.

K Barrett

"Ray B" wrote in message
Nice. I have the same plant, but it's labeled as Kuan Yin Susin

. ..

Old 21-08-2008, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Which reminds me of the old joke about the war in Vietnam. A visiting US
dignitary would try to say a phrase in Vietnamese that always came out wrong
because he'd use the wrong tone. Instead of congratulating the Vietnamese
army on their war efforts he'd congratulate them on their ducks. So my tag
may say 'this orchid is dirt', while Ray's says 'most extremely exalted
orchid'.

Or vice versa.

K Barrett

"Steve" wrote in message

Phonetically, both names are virtually the same. The "correct" name may be
some Chinese symbol and you both have an Englishized version of the name.
:-)

Steve

"Ray B" wrote in message
Nice. I have the same plant, but it's labeled as Kuan Yin Susin

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
A species from China. The clonal name is 'Quan Yin Sue Sing'

K Barrett

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Cym. ensifolium K Barrett Orchids 1 21-08-2008 09:10 PM
Cym. Fifi - pendulous Cym Fifi'Harry' 362-01989.jpg [3/6] Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2008 08:47 PM
Cym. Fifi - pendulous Cym Fifi'Harry' 362-01989.jpg [4/6] Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2008 08:47 PM
Cym. Fifi - pendulous Cym Fifi'Harry' 362-01989.jpg [5/6] Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2008 08:47 PM
Cym. Fifi - pendulous Cym Fifi'Harry' 362-01989.jpg [6/6] Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2008 08:47 PM