Old 29-08-2008, 06:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'-dsc00052.jpg
Old 30-08-2008, 03:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:31:11 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

K Barrett

Yum - Love the red and pink together.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 30-08-2008, 04:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding of
the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 30-08-2008, 01:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I recently upgraded to an XSi and think it's fantastic!

My "base" lens in a 28-135 mm (acts as 45-200, due to sensor size), and I do
most of my shooting with that, plus I have a 100 (160) mm macro, and a
70-300 (110-480!!!) telephoto zoom.

In addition to offering me more flexibility than a P&S (but still able to be
an excellent one when I'm too lazy), the color rendition with the new
processor is far superior to my old D30, the autofocus is unbelievable, and
it's fast!.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding of
the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 30-08-2008, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray, nice to know you're happy with the Rebel. An aqcuaintance says the
Canon line kicks butt over everything else. Except her Hasselblad, LOL!

I'm compulsive, so I've been reading photo sites about the differences
between point and shoots and DSLR sensors. I must admit the argument for a
DSLR sensor makes a huge amount of sense. And that image stabilization can
take place either in the lens or in the camera body. (I think I prefer the
camera body, but what do I know?)

But then I looked at one of Greg Allikas's pictures where he talks about the
depth of field in macro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphicgreg/2731961458/ and I got scared.

Now, there's no way I'm going to haul around a bunch of lenses. I shoot in
macro. I never leave Auto mode, not even when I had a Nikon (film) camera
(but with cheapo lenses). Eric has shamed me into realizing I have to get a
tripod. I haven't yet so I've stopped taking pictures - well until
recently - which raised all these issues again...

I need a better camera. I need a tripod, I need a bigger black velvet
backdrop, I need lights, argh. Just so I can take pics for here, LOL!!

Too bad I already spent my economic stimulus check

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding of
the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 30-08-2008, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

And another question- someplace (C/Net?) mentioned that in case you ever
want to show your pictures on a hi def TV the newer cameras are high def,
too?? Like there's some other sort of "something" going on in the sensor,
other than just high pixel counts? Is that a load of potatoes?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding of
the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 30-08-2008, 06:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The depth of field will always be narrower with a macro, but you can play
with the aperture and affect that.

Hi-Def, huh? I guess I'll actually have to break down and read the manual!

. ..

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding
of the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Kathy,

I can echo a lot of what Ray says. I got a Rebel XTi last year and really
like it. I'm an old SLR guy with some great lenses but haven't picked it up
a long time. It feels and works like my old SLR, no delay and I like the
mirror clacking up too. :-).

Don't know if you have gotten a tripod yet, but there are these very small
ones with a velcro strap that are convenient to carry around. I went
overboard several years ago and bought a Gitzo. They are the cream of the
crop but cost as much as the camera.

One of these days I'm going to give a skill session on orchid photography
(my way) and perhaps even at the POS (local) show in January.

Paul

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding
of the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

.com...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Paul, do your old lenses work with the Xti?
Ohhhhh! You guys are making me break out my credit cards.... [slaps
hand]...but then I do have one that "gives" me iTunes credits.... how's
*that* for a rationalization?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot.
Had considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my
understanding of the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically
a point and shooter...

K Barrett

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:31:11 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

K Barrett

Yum - Love the red and pink together.