GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Endurance - Brassavola Nodosa 3 (Small).JPG [01/01] (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/178543-endurance-brassavola-nodosa-3-small-jpg-%5B01-01%5D.html)

Chris Savas 11-09-2008 11:34 PM

Endurance - Brassavola Nodosa 3 (Small).JPG [01/01]

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, all,

Here is a picture of a Brassavola Nodosa that I have had a looooong time. I
bought it from Tropical Plant Products in Orlando, Florida, in June of 1968,
for $1. It was mounted on a piece of tree fern, 2 x 2 x 6 inches. I have
never repotted or remounted it since then, It just kept growing on itself and
kept blooming nicely, so I didn't bother it except to feed, water, and protect
it from any drop in temperature.

A second picture shows the tag that has almost disappeared into the root ball.
I can't pull it out. The plant has bloomed regularly each June for many years.
Yet, of late, it seems to like August-September.

I use to have a Pot. Gordon Siu that I really liked. I gave a division of it
to a friend. Both of us bloomed it for a couple of years until a few years
ago, both just curled up and died. I had it for just over 30 years. Is there
a 'life expectancy' for orchids?

This brings to mind for a new Question. How long has anyone had a given
orchid, that is, from its original piece?

I've had my Nodosa for just over 40 years.

Chris in Central Florida
(remove n o t from address to respond directly)

John Varigos 12-09-2008 01:37 AM

Endurance - Brassavola Nodosa 3 (Small).JPG [01/01]

That is some plant - magnificent flowering.

I have several plants from when I started growing orchids in 1977;
Dendrobium loddigesii; Dendrobium speciosum and Brassia brachiata - all
still growing strongly.

~John

ng.com...

Chris Savas 12-09-2008 04:00 AM

In article .com, "John Varigos" wrote:
That is some plant - magnificent flowering.

I have several plants from when I started growing orchids in 1977;
Dendrobium loddigesii; Dendrobium speciosum and Brassia brachiata - all
still growing strongly.

~John

Why is it that we can 'kill them with kindness' sometimes, yet other times
they thrive?

Chris Savas

unknown[_1_] 13-09-2008 04:49 PM

Endurance - Brassavola Nodosa 3 (Small).JPG [01/01]

ho-lee buckets-!

--j_a