Old 27-11-2008, 05:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default 5 levels of greenhouse

It is sunny in the GH today and so I can enjoy a bit of summer here in
the frozen arctic wastes of Ohio. This pic of me watering was taken in
the GH this morning. I use all the space I can to get the most of a
too-small GH. The floor shelf at present has no grownig plants on it,
though it is future expansion room. I do have plants on the floor bench
level around the perimeter of the GH where they get more light than they
would here. T Second level up, waist-height, on this banech asre the
larger phals. Third level up, a smaller shelf, are smaller phals. Above,
on level four, are the bulbos, and above them on level five are trays of
cattleya seedlings. If you look closely you will see the rafters are in
about 18-24" of shade. This was at 10AM; the GH tucks under the eave and
the sun will illuminate this area by noon. The top level trays are just
11.5" deep and do not shade the bulbos at all (shelf they're on is
openwork white wire closet organizer shelving to allow light and air
through). By the time the sun hits the angle allows this. The larger
phals get a brief wash of direct light for an hour or so in the late AM,
then are shaded by the vandas hanging on the left in the pic, which grow
above the bromeliad bench. The furnaces are in the background just to
the left, main on top, backup below, and fans are in evidence everywhere
(on top of gray rainwater tank in background and at top of pic). There
are five total currently in the 24 x 14 GH. I am also in the process of
putting drip liners under all the benches to keep water from running
through one plant onto the plant beneath (visible at far right in
background above small fan).

One of the joys of having the attached GH where I put it is not only can
I look out into it through the french door (not visible but it is just
to the right of the camera placement) now as I sit here in the den, but
as well, I can look out into it from the dining room table through the
windows visible to the right of the small fan. Brings a little 'summer'
in during the winter.

Attached Thumbnails
5 levels of greenhouse-ghlevels.jpg
Old 28-11-2008, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Great to see how ingenious we orchid folks are in utilising space to squeeze
in a few more orchids. Ones GH is never big enough. Thanks for sharing,
Tennis.

~John

"tenman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

kH levels dropping, why?? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-03-2003 11:27 PM
Light levels Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 2 04-02-2003 08:14 AM
Article of toxic levels of arsenic and other chems... J Kolenovsky Gardening 4 27-01-2003 05:41 PM
raising PH levels Rod United Kingdom 0 24-01-2003 08:41 PM
raising PH levels William Anderson United Kingdom 2 23-01-2003 09:17 PM