Old 18-12-2008, 04:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Percivaliana cross - P10100S.JPG [01/01]

I have a plant that just came into bloom for the first time (for me). It's a
nice looking flower, but I am puzzled by the label.

Blc. (C. Percivaliana 'Summit' FCC/AOS
X Peggy O'Neill 'Peppermint')

It also has the number 186141 , but no name of grower.

My problem is whether the grower has less-than-adequate labelling practices,
or am I ignorant in labelling practices.

Am I to understand that the Peggy O'Neill is B. or Bl. or Blc. so
that the cross results in a Blc.?

Chris in Central Florida
(remove not from address to answer directly)

Attached Thumbnails
Percivaliana  cross - P10100S.JPG [01/01]-p10100s.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10100S.JPG (66.3 KB, 444 views)
Old 18-12-2008, 06:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Chris, I do not think it is a problem with you or the grower. It is just a
mess. In the old days this would have been Blc. Today B. digbyana is known
as Rhyncholaelia digbyana (11% species background and only B in plant) and L
purpurata is now Sophronitis purpurata (.8% species background and only L in
plant). I did not check to see if all the background C species were still
Catts. I am not sure what Peggy O'Neil is today but my guess is it will be
changing again soon. I do not think we are done with the Catt rename game
yet. Until the dust settles just Peggy O'Neil works.

g.com...

Old 21-12-2008, 07:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi there Chris,
I always thought that when the tag name is written as you have it, then
it is a cross of two Cattleyas?
I have a couple of C. Percivaliana 's & my data base tells me that they were
from Stewarts, which
sadly is out of business. Peggy O'Neill is a Blc.
Your cross is pretty, I love the subtle pastel shade.
Merry Christmas,
Wendy

Old 21-12-2008, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the information, and for the greeting, Wendy.

Chris

In article , "Wendy7"
wrote:
Hi there Chris,
I always thought that when the tag name is written as you have it, then
it is a cross of two Cattleyas?
I have a couple of C. Percivaliana 's & my data base tells me that they were
from Stewarts, which
sadly is out of business. Peggy O'Neill is a Blc.
Your cross is pretty, I love the subtle pastel shade.
Merry Christmas,
Wendy

"Chris Savas" wrote in message
ng.com...
I have a plant that just came into bloom for the first time (for me). It's
nice looking flower, but I am puzzled by the label.

Blc. (C. Percivaliana 'Summit' FCC/AOS
X Peggy O'Neill 'Peppermint')

It also has the number 186141 , but no name of grower.

My problem is whether the grower has less-than-adequate labelling
practices,
or am I ignorant in labelling practices.

Am I to understand that the Peggy O'Neill is B. or Bl. or Blc. so
that the cross results in a Blc.?

Chris in Central Florida
(remove not from address to answer directly)

Rate This Thread: