GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT, sort of - Eternal-September (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/186091-ot-sort-eternal-september.html)

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 29-07-2009 12:44 AM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

All:

May I ask, who here is using eternal-september.org? And if you are, can you
see all of the original posts? I am getting threads, but no OPs other than
the one KB posted, and she was using eternal-september. I also was able to
read my own.

I remember that when some went to Motzarella that they had this same issue.
How did you handle it?

Diana

Ray B[_2_] 29-07-2009 01:34 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

I am on E-S, and I'm missing some of the "OP"s, as well.

If I recall, there was a discussion about (motzarella's) issues with
attached images only showing up if they were posted by one of their own
subscribers, but I thought that had been resolved.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books, Artwork
Free Services & Lots of Info!

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 29-07-2009 11:16 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

OT, sort of - Eternal-SeptemberI remember the discussion about the problem. E-S is of no use if we can't see the original posts. Oddly, I can see the ones that were up before I logged on with E-S.

Back to the old drawing board. Maybe a note to the site admin.

Diana

Ray B[_2_] 30-07-2009 02:30 AM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

I will repeat a proposal I made some time ago, but which gained no
response: anyone up for a binaries newsletter?

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - http://www.firstrays.com

Ray B[_2_] 30-07-2009 12:29 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

The Orchids Digest is now run By Kenneth B (I'm not going to even
attempt to spell is name before coffee) for free using freelists.org.
Looking at the freelists info, it appears that it is possible to have a
list with attached images. Seems to me that it would provide us a way
to share photos at no cost to anyone; maybe a little time as a moderator
to kill abuser's participation, and I'm willing to give that a try.

Basically, you just send an email with photo attached to the list
address (I have applied for " - not active
yet; should be within 24 hours if approved) , and the server distributes
it to all members. Reply, and that goes to all, as well.

It is possible to have all of the day's messages sent as a single
"digest", but with the images, that's probably not a good idea, as it
could be huge!

What the heck, let's give it a try and see how it goes. I can always
close it down again. I'll cross-post info if it's approved.

Ray B[_2_] 30-07-2009 02:16 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

We'll see if it is even accepted by them.

The lists are supposed to be for "scientific" purposes only, so when I
applied, I commented that it was a "sister" to ,
and would be used to share images for the purposes of identification,
quality assessment, and the like.

K Barrett 30-07-2009 04:03 PM

Ray B wrote:
We’ll see if it is even accepted by them.

The lists are supposed to be for “scientific” purposes only, so when I
applied, I commented that it was a “sister” to
, and would be used to share images for
the purposes of identification, quality assessment, and the like.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC -
www.firstrays.com http://www.firstrays.com

Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books, Artwork

Free Services & Lots of Info!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've even stopped reading my mystery
group because there's nothing going on there either. Usenet is going away.

Interestingly photos seems to be the main topic of interest in the
online community. The AOS forum's number of posts to the picture
threads outpace the culture threads.

Copyright and file size may be an issue. [shrug] I usually don't post
an image unless I don't care if its stolen by an eBay vendor. Or I can
watermark the hell out of it, *G*!

K Barrett

wendy7 30-07-2009 04:34 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

OT, sort of - Eternal-SeptemberI must have missed it too !!! But I'm in on this Ray, sounds like it would work. If you need help with the
moderating just yell.
Cheers Wendy

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 30-07-2009 09:20 PM

OT, sort of - Eternal-September

OT, sort of - Eternal-SeptemberAnything I can do, I will, Ray. BTW, I have tried twice to sign on to Orchids Digest (at Freelists). I get the postings every day in my inbox but can't seem to join that list. I got as far as a notice that said I'd receive an email to use for verification, but I never did get one.

I think the mod's name is spelled Viateur.....Signs everything VB.

Diana